Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to find dowel for birdhouse perch!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to find dowel for birdhouse perch!!

Hello everyone!! I'm back in the shop and it feels pretty good! So as long as it does I'm going to work!! One of the categories at our fair is birdhouses and included in that is miniature birdhouses!! I can't resist making a grouping of small, smaller and smallest compound cut birdhouses!! I have shrunk the pattern to 75% and 50%. For the smallest I'm using toothpicks for the perch. But I'm struggling with the middle one. By drill bit size it would be 3/32, but is it possible to buy a dowel that small? The smallest the big box store in the bigger city is 1/8. My only other thought is to try and sand down a 1/8. Any ideas out there?!?! Thanks so much for always being there for me!!!
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

How about a piece of straw out of a broom or a toothpick?
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I'm using a toothpick for the smallest perch. The middle birdhouse needs to be bigger than that to stay symmetrical. That's why I'm having problems. Any other thoughts Mike???
      Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

I make my own dowels.
        Drill holes in a piece of steel to the size you need, then drive a bigger dowel through the hole.

Bob
        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I use 1/8th inch dowels for the birdhouses. Works for me. Michael's or Hobby Lobby will have them. You might find smaller ones at a hobby shop that provides materials for RC planes.

Jan

Comment

get some of the bamboo skewers. if they are too big you can sand em smaller.
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Bamboo skewers work, a little smaller than 1/8"

Dave

Comment

Oh I never thought of bamboo skewers!!! Thanks you guys!! I'm also going to try sanding down a 1/8 inch dowel. I'll keep you posted on my progress!!! Love this place!!!
                Cathy in NE

Comment

Cathy, I recommended bamboo skewers also

Comment

How about those long cotton swabs that they use at the doctor's office? I'm not sure how thick those are.

You might also try picking up a new hobby too...Woodturning! You can make mini round birdhouses and custom made dowels.

Comment

Bamboo Skweers would work I bet. Or you could cut them yourself. Nothing says that they have to be round.

DW
                      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                      John Wayne

Comment

Dotty blues had it right, I use the wooden handle cotton swabs all the time like on my road grader and John Deere tractor, they are 3/32" diameter.
                        Merle
                        SSG US Army Retired.
                        [email protected]
                        http://www.etsy.com/your/listings

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by will8989
                          Beautiful!...
                          Today, 09:19 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Big week here
                          by will8989
                          Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                          Today, 09:09 PM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                          by jim_mex
                          Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                          ingers crossed
                          Today, 07:35 PM
                        • cwmagee
                          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                          by cwmagee
                          I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                          Today, 05:39 PM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to New tools
                          by jim_mex
                          Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                          Today, 05:26 PM
                        Working...
                        X