My First Finished Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Finished Bowl

Well here is my first bowl that actually made it all the way to being finished without ending up in the scrap wood bucket. It's made out of 3/4 pine and went together with just some fine sanding unlike my other attempts.
    Attached Files
    It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Nice bowl! I haven't gotten up the courage to try one myself yet. Was it hard to get the angles right?

Comment

Nice job on the bowl. The grain looks really pretty. Hope this is just the first of many.
      Congratulations!
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
        Nice bowl! I haven't gotten up the courage to try one myself yet. Was it hard to get the angles right?
        Once Carole helped me out by explaining the way to do the angles is was pretty easy even though this is just a simple bowl.

And thanks Carole for your help up until now all I had managed to make was fire wood.
        It's only a mistake if someone saw you do it.

It's not about what saw you drive. It's about the skill you drive it with.

Jim

Comment

Nice job! The things are addictive.
          Terry
          Got Moose?

Comment

Very Nicely done 1st bowl.. Thanks for sharing it with us.

DW
            Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
            John Wayne

Comment

Nice job, I knew you could do it.
              Fran

Comment

Sweeeeet beans, this is one of many you will make, somehow I just know it. Congrats on sticking with it, and for sharing your photo with us.
                Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Very cool! I was physically tired after sanding on some bowls I tried. I am hoping making sure the wood is perfectly flat will decrease the sanding.

Comment

Flat wood is really critical to getting the glue-up just right. Stack the rings and check carefully for any spaces before gluing them together. A sheet of 150 grit sandpaper attached to a granite tile is a great surface for getting rid of irregularities. Don't skip this step, even if you have to spend a lot of time on it.

You can always sand the inner and outer faces of your glued up rings, but if there are little gaps between the rings, the bowl will never look great (guess how I know!).

Another tip: if you have some really ugly places on your rings--bad cuts, drill marks, etc., you can often start the sanding process by getting out the worst of the mess before you glue the rings up. Just be sure you have enough wood to do that. If not, just glue it up and make the best of it. I've rescued many bowls that I was sure were hopeless, including some that were good enough to include in the book.

And don't forget to enjoy the ride!
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Nicely done Jim, looks great too.

Mike

Comment

Sweet for only pine it looks great

Comment

Nice bowl for a beginner. My first was designer firewood.
                          Merle
                          SSG US Army Retired.
                          [email protected]
                          http://www.etsy.com/your/listings

Comment

Great looking bowl. God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                              Today, 10:01 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by will8989
                              Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                              Today, 09:53 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by will8989
                              Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                              Today, 09:49 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                              Today, 09:32 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Sundays market
                              by will8989
                              We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                              Today, 08:56 PM
                            Working...
                            X