Natures Pattern for Band Saw Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natures Pattern for Band Saw Box

This is my first posting of some of my projects. I've only been do band saw work for a year and love it. During a trip to purchase some timber for future projects (last Sept.) I spotted a 2"x10"x8' piece of pine and a pattern displayed itself to me - had to have it. Probably not another one around. A bird and it's nest egg.

The first 4 pic's is the raw blank and cutout. Finished project follows.

BirdTimber01.jpgBirdBlank01-sm.jpgBrd-011.JPGBrd-014-sm.jpg

I used a 3/8" blade for the outside cuts and finished the balance of cutting with a 3/16".

Glenn

I removed those pics for you now you are all set to upload the thumbnails...Hope that helped. Mike

Yes thanks, also resized 2 of them.
    Last edited by Greenbo; 05-09-2012, 11:00 PM. Reason: change picture format

Nicely done....I like how you used the grain of the wood to define the final project.

Just a tip...

Here is the preferred way to post photos. This method will apply a thumbnail so that messages load faster, keeping those who are still on dial up in mind.

If it is a new thread scroll down below the message box to additional options and look for manage attachments,Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
    Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
    If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.

If you are uploading a picture to an existing thread (conversation)
    Click on the Go Advanced button under the reply box, Click on Manage Attachments, click Browse, find your file name on your computer, click it, then click Upload. It may take a few seconds to load.
    Once you see the file name under current attachments you can close the window.
    If you want you can Preview Post (a wise choice) then if all is well, click on Submit reply.
    Good luck
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Just needed a bit more sanding and curving, and the finished product,

Brd-016.jpg Brd-019.jpg Brd-020.jpg Brd-018.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, we all love photos.
      Glenn

thanks Mike, sometimes to many options !
      Also, using this method, how many photos can go into one post / reply ?

Last edited by Greenbo; 05-09-2012, 12:57 PM.

Comment

I like it a lot... nicely done.
        Douglas Fraser
        Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Very nice box.....
          My Gallery

Comment

thanks Mike, sometimes to many options !
            Also, using this method, how many photos can go into one post / reply ?
            It depends on the size of the photos. Usually about 4-5 but you will find out when the uploader balks...LOL Keep the size of your pics in the double digits of KB's and you will be fine.
            "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
            Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Great use of the design in the wood Glenn. I see in the back ground several band saw boxes you are working on....that's the way my shop looks...always a band saw box in parts somewhere.
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

That is a nice piece of art! Please keep sharing your good work! I liked how you emphasized nature’s beauty with that band saw box.

Comment

Very nicely done. I like how you used the grain. Thanks for sharing it with us.

DW
                  Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                  John Wayne

Comment

That piece of wood was just waiting for your touch......Sweeeeet cuts, and yes most of us certainly do love to see project photos....Thanks for the food for thought.
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks everyone, always a good feeling to share these.

Hawaiilad, those are the drawers for this box, there is one off to the right and a few out of sight. I have just complete 2 more and a third one cut yesterday. Just deciding on patterns for the next blocks getting glued up this week.

Will be posting the finished ones by the weekend.
                      Still practicing on the scroll saw, and finally received a drill press to help the process..

cheers
                      Glenn

Comment

Looks good Glenn. I also like the idea of letting the wood dictate the design. No two are ever the same.

Small question: You implied using a band saw, but I cannot see an entry cut for the fully enclosed drawer. Was that done with a scroll saw? or have you figured out how to get a cut that way with a band saw? Or am I missing something?
                        Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

I love those Boxes!

It's all fun
                          Terry
                          Craftsman 18"
                          Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Great looking box!
                            Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

And good morning. Thanks for the comments.

Ron; the entry point is just above the the 'toe and knuckle' as I call it. Had a nice slightly curved grain line to follow, glue up excellent and very light sanding. I know that a lot like to see the entry point and emphasize it, I always look for a way to enter with the least amount. Cutting was done using only a band saw as I have only acquired a scroll saw a short while ago. So hopefully I'll be posting a few using the scroll saw method in the near future..

BirdEntryCut.jpg

regards
                              Glenn.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                                Today, 11:36 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                                Today, 11:32 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by NC Scroller
                                I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                                Today, 11:30 AM
                              Working...
                              X