A few more boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more boxes

Been a bit warm here in the shop, but did find some time to make a few more band saw boxes this week. The Chest box is my design, but other were patterns from one of the books I have. The mushroom box was really fun to make. Coated with 4 layers of laquer so far. All boxes are made with Koa with Koa pulls except for one that has Avacado pulls
    Attached Files
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Very nicely done Larry. How hard is Koa? Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

DW, the call Koa a hard wood, and some of it really seems hard, but most of the time it's because my blade is getting dull. I find it really easy to cut on the band saw and scroll saw. I really like working with it. We had a baby shower for a friends daughter at our house today and the men showed up also...one of the guys saw the boxes I make and said I need to stop up to his house because he just cut down a couple large Koa tree's....He has a mill I guess.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Well how lucky can you get.......a free tree for more boxes.
        They look awesome Larry.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

More great boxes Larry. Excellent.
          Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

It took a while before I found an entry point. It is on the last box, bottom left. Do you use super glue to close the kerf?
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Hi Larry - nice work!
              Love the appearance of the Koa wood. It looks really suitable for your organic shaped boxes. I think that I'll be putting my under used band saw into action once I'm back home to produce similar items.
              Thanks for posting your work.
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Very Nicely Done!
                My Gallery

Comment

Most of the time I do not try to hide the entry cut....in fact I high lite it by doing a sand over of the edges. I just like them better. Not very often do I try to hide it.
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by markdavd
                    I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                    Today, 09:45 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    by NC Scroller
                    My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                    Today, 07:42 AM
                  • will8989
                    by will8989
                    None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                    Today, 12:20 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                    The bags seem easier on the surface.
                    But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                    Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                    Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                  Working...
                  X