First coumpound cut chess set and board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First coumpound cut chess set and board

Here is what I've been wanting to do for a long time. I use walnut and the white part of ash. I was having problem with the ash burning and I changed from a # 5 blade to a # 5 precision blade and it solved my problem. I made a jig to cut my squares, which work good. I had a few people say they liked the burnt look, but I'll probably recut some of them. Comments welcome. Don
    Attached Files

Looks pretty good I think the burn marks give the pieces character personally I would leave them the way they are but that's only my two cents.Jerry
    Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Wow that's quite a job just to start and finish that project........you certainly did a sweeeeet job Frenchie. I like the way you beveled the squares.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Great job !
        I too like the burnt look.
        It gives i character and the look that it has been in use.
        I also like the bevel given to the board squares. I elevates the look.
        Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

Looks very nice to me - and I really like the beveled squares.
          Douglas Fraser
          Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Thanks everyone; I had fun cutting it. It definitely took a while. Now I'll have to figure how much to sell it for if asked. Any one got any ideas. Don

Comment

NO idea's on a price, but I wanted to ask what pattern did you use?
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

Larry; The chess pieces are from a Patrick Spielman book, I don't remember which one right off hand The Board was from the woodsmith mag Vol.22/ No.132 of course I didn't follow all of the instruction for it. It has a draw that pulls out from either side. divider for each piece and a place for checkers.I went as far as I dare. Don

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                  Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                  by meflick
                  got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                  Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                • Jo Labre
                  Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                  by Jo Labre
                  At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                  Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                • hotshot
                  by hotshot
                  The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                  Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                • Rolf
                  by Rolf
                  Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                  Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                • Rolf
                  Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                  by Rolf
                  I haven't even decided what to make!
                  Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                Working...
                X