First coumpound cut chess set and board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First coumpound cut chess set and board

Here is what I've been wanting to do for a long time. I use walnut and the white part of ash. I was having problem with the ash burning and I changed from a # 5 blade to a # 5 precision blade and it solved my problem. I made a jig to cut my squares, which work good. I had a few people say they liked the burnt look, but I'll probably recut some of them. Comments welcome. Don
    Attached Files

Looks pretty good I think the burn marks give the pieces character personally I would leave them the way they are but that's only my two cents.Jerry
    Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Wow that's quite a job just to start and finish that project........you certainly did a sweeeeet job Frenchie. I like the way you beveled the squares.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Great job !
        I too like the burnt look.
        It gives i character and the look that it has been in use.
        I also like the bevel given to the board squares. I elevates the look.
        Eric

Liberty Twp (Cincinnati), OH

If today were perfect, there would be no need for tomorrow!

Comment

Looks very nice to me - and I really like the beveled squares.
          Douglas Fraser
          Eagle River, Alaska

My Gallery - Aurora Wood Crafts

Comment

Thanks everyone; I had fun cutting it. It definitely took a while. Now I'll have to figure how much to sell it for if asked. Any one got any ideas. Don

Comment

NO idea's on a price, but I wanted to ask what pattern did you use?
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

Larry; The chess pieces are from a Patrick Spielman book, I don't remember which one right off hand The Board was from the woodsmith mag Vol.22/ No.132 of course I didn't follow all of the instruction for it. It has a draw that pulls out from either side. divider for each piece and a place for checkers.I went as far as I dare. Don

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                  Reply to Question about tilting head saws
                  by handibunny
                  It doesn’t matter whether the saw table tilts or the saw arm tilts. Either can be used for any project cut at an angle, and there’s a learning curve for each.

I actually prefer the tilting table because the blade remains vertical. I find that at really steep angles, like 40 or 45 degrees,...
                  Today, 02:10 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to What you find when cleaning out a cedar chest
                  by will8989
                  This is the tapestry I found in the cedar chest. We can’t identify where the pictures are from. Two among many. I also forgot to mention dad was also in the army Fife and Drum Corps and also played with a big band when he was discharged. Have to find that info....
                  Today, 12:34 PM
                • will8989
                  Reply to Bruce doing great
                  by will8989
                  What a morning. The therapists were quite pleased with what he could do. He took the wrap off today and he can walk with the walker with very little pain. It’s getting the leg completely straight that is hard to do. It’s when his brother stopped in that things went off rails. Rolf, we are talking...
                  Today, 12:19 PM
                • Sandy Oaks
                  Reply to Question about tilting head saws
                  by Sandy Oaks
                  If you are referring to 3D Compound cutting, the blade is 90 degrees to the table and not tilted. I use the tilting head for things like inlays and Carole's bowls. If you want a tilting arm, be sure it is rack and pinion. Look at other features that may fit your needs. As a Pegas dealer, I can help...
                  Today, 11:32 AM
                • Jim Lowder
                  Reply to Need Advice Refurbishing Somerville Excalibur 30
                  by Jim Lowder
                  I think the foot release was an option. I don’t see the pulley for it on the back of yours. Although it may have been removed. It is a very simple concept, it’s a cable attached to the back of the saw to release the arm
                  Today, 10:10 AM
                Working...
                X