Cool USe for AngleCalc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool USe for AngleCalc

I found a really cool application for the Scrollmania angle calculator. I had a project were I needed to drill some 6 degree holes. I went to the angle calculator and entered a thickness of 1 and a width 0 and solved for the angle. If the angle was less than 6 degrees I increased the thickness by 1 and solved for the angle. If the angle was less than 6 degrees I increased the thickness by 1 and solved for the angle. I kept doing this until the angle got close enough to 6 degrees.

T W A
    1 0 0.0 (increase width)
    1 1 45.0 (increase length)
    2 1 26.6 (increase length)
    3 1 18.4 (increase length)
    4 1 14.0 (increase length)
    5 1 11.3 (increase length)
    6 1 9.5 (increase length)
    7 1 8.1 (increase length)
    8 1 7.1 (increase length)
    9 1 6.3 (increase length)
    10 1 5.70 (increase width)
    10 2 11.3 (increase length)
    11 2 10.3 (increase length)
    12 2 9.5 (increase length)
    13 2 8.7 (increase length)
    14 2 8.1 (increase length)
    15 2 7.6 (increase length)
    16 2 7.1 (increase length)
    17 2 6.7 (increase length)
    18 2 6.3 (increase length)
    19 2 6.0 (DONE!)

So I took a piece of scrap wood and cut a triangle that was 8.5 inches (19/2) long and 1 inch (2/1) high and cut it out on the scroll saw. I now have a 6 degree reference guide.

This will work for whatever angle you wish.

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. I'm wondering why so many efforts.

Plug 84 into Angle, 1 into Thickness and then click solve for Width.

With angles less than 45 use 90-target angle.
    Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

OK, I don't get it. What is the purpose of doing this? Obviously it's not for the purported purpose of Angle Calc, which is to compute the angle that the table deflects from its level position, aka the cutting angle.

And if you have to cut the wood anyway, why not just cut it at the angle you need, then tweak it on a sander whose table is set to the same angle?

I guess I'm missing something. I just don't know what that something is.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Yep, I'm lost as well Carole...but then I have been bumping into walls of late
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

I think the goal was to create a wedge to use to adjust the angle of drilling surface on a drill press without having to adjust the table. Not being a bowl cutter, I wasn't sure what AngleCalc was supposed to do.

Correct me if I'm off and need to buy Carole Rotham's book. The original purposes of AngleCalc is to determine the angle you need to set your saw so that each ring of thickness (height) with a width (wall thickness) will line up with minimal sanding.
          Sawdust King

Comment

Sawdust King, you've got it right. It's really a simple tangent function, to compute the angle that will give you a straight sided bowl, which is a function of ring width and wood thickness. Dave's program automates it, although I find it prudent to add an extra angle to account for kerf width and cutting irregularities. Using a tangent chart (in the Appendix of the bowl book, disguised for the math phobic) is also easy, but low tech.

However, the fun doesn't start until you vary the angles to get the curves--that really makes folks sit up and notice.
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I wanted to drill 6 degree holes on my drill press. I made a 6 degree wedge and placed my material on it! That way I don't have to bevel the table on my drill press.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveVanEss View Post
                I wanted to drill 6 degree holes on my drill press. I made a 6 degree wedge and placed my material on it! That way I don't have to bevel the table on my drill press.

Dave
                Yea, my assumption of his intent was correct. I've done one thing right, too bad it wasn't on a scrolling project.
                Sawdust King

Comment

A broken watch is right twice a day!

Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    I checked out www.ULine.com We used them years ago at the company I used to work at, and they were really reputable to work with. They have machines, guns, bags, and film. I just don't really know what works best, as well as if there is a really great priced to buy from. To date I've been a frugal...
                    Today, 10:01 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                    by will8989
                    Will check out amazon tomorrow. Thanks.
                    Today, 09:53 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                    by will8989
                    Well, I used to get my shrink wrap rolls from AC Moore, and just used the last roll😟. I use a heat gun but lately and only shrink the Sealife puzzles to keep the pieces in place. I only use it on puzzles because of my display board otherwise I would have broken pieces all over the place. Also easier...
                    Today, 09:49 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                    by will8989
                    He’s gotten me through some pretty tough times and always has my back so It’s the least I can do. Good thing I had the freezer stocked! That has been a time saver. I made a pot of chili on Sunday and got 6 meals out of it! As for payback, I’m getting a new shed in the spring! I had to do my flap...
                    Today, 09:32 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Sundays market
                    by will8989
                    We did. I only went $40 over budget. I got a 73” x 12” x 3/4” curly cherry for $55. Just needs to be run through the sander and cut to size. It’s a pinkish cherry and is so pretty. A piece of deep red redwood, 2 pieces of walnut each about 12” wide. Good haul.
                    Today, 08:56 PM
                  Working...
                  X