Got a bandsaw, made a box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a bandsaw, made a box

Got a new small (10") bandsaw over Christmas. So what else then to make a box (after I changed out the cheap blade for a good 1/4" one, tried some re-sawing, and found out quickly they need a dust collection system). Boy can they make sawdust.

Anyway, this is my design. I call it a peanut box. Hope you can tell why.

Made from walnut and oak. Size is about 7.5" by 3.5" by 4" deep. Finish is tung oil.
    Attached Files
    Ron

My sawdust gallery

Nicely done. Love the wood choices.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Very nicely done Ron. I like the design and the wood choices. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

That's very nice... I got my first bandsaw in December and I have to try one of those boxes soon. What blade is better for making boxes? I have 1/4" but also have a 1/8" blade.

Comment

Very nice wood choice and design.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Very nicely done. Good job.

Comment

Sweeeeet project Ron, bet you can't stop at making one. I agree with the others, good selection of contrasting wood. Verrrry nice.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Wow! I need to decide which bandsaw to buy and get one for my shop! Of course that means then I need the dust collection system...and I still need a jointer and planer! Why do I always pick up expensive hobbies

Comment

great job, that's a nice looking box...

Trout
                  Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                  Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Great choice of woods and design!!! Like Wood Dog said...ya just can't make one...their like tater chips - lol! Can't wait to see your next ones.
                    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                      Nicely done. Love the wood choices.
                      Thanks one of many Mike.

Originally posted by DWSudekum View Post
                      Very nicely done Ron. I like the design and the wood choices. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
                      Thanks DW.

Originally posted by sawdust11703 View Post
                      That's very nice... I got my first bandsaw in December and I have to try one of those boxes soon. What blade is better for making boxes? I have 1/4" but also have a 1/8" blade.
                      Thnaks.

Wish I knew witch was better. I am still a beginner myself. I have thought of getting a 1/8" blade myself, but I read of possible tracking issues with those.

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                      Very nice wood choice and design.
                      Thanks Rolf.
                      Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Originally posted by wsmith0896 View Post
                        Very nicely done. Good job.
                        Thank you.

Originally posted by Wood Dog View Post
                        Sweeeeet project Ron, bet you can't stop at making one. I agree with the others, good selection of contrasting wood. Verrrry nice.
                        Thanks WD. You are right, am selecting the wood for the next one as we speak.

Originally posted by doobie View Post
                        Wow! I need to decide which bandsaw to buy and get one for my shop! Of course that means then I need the dust collection system...and I still need a jointer and planer! Why do I always pick up expensive hobbies
                        Try photography some time Doobie. Cannot believe the price of good glass.

Originally posted by Trout View Post
                        great job, that's a nice looking box...

Trout
                        Thanks Trout.

Originally posted by lkbraa View Post
                        Great choice of woods and design!!! Like Wood Dog said...ya just can't make one...their like tater chips - lol! Can't wait to see your next ones.
                        Thanks Kim.
                        Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Yep, Kim knows what she talking about...sorry Ron, but you are hooked now...once you start your mind has all these designs to work on. I am at the part now when I where I make 4 or 6 boxes at a time...why those number????? Oh yea, nice save of your throw out wood...in the use of your handle.
                          Hawaiilad
                          Larry

Comment

A awesome box Ron and a great choise of woods. As far as blades go it like with scroll sawing it depends on the thickness of wood your using.
                            sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                            To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                            Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by Rolf
                              Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                              That is...
                              Today, 08:15 AM
                            • Jimern
                              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                              by Jimern
                              The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                              Today, 06:29 AM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                              by will8989
                              The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                              Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Farmers market
                              by will8989
                              Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                              Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                            • tgiro01
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by tgiro01
                              Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                              Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                            Working...
                            X