Wedding box inlay or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding box inlay or not

I am in the process of making this wedding keepsake box, ideally I would like to
    inlay the bride and groom motiff, but inlaying a sillouette is one thing but inlaying it in segments is quite another I am not sure how to go about this can anyone offer me advice?. I decided to cut the motiff out in segments and make an overlay but it does not seem right somhow, it looks rather bulky. Maybe someone has any other ideas of an inlay pattern, and where I can obtain one. I have looked at several issues of Scroll Saw mags but can't find anything suitable. Would be grateful for any advice.

Harry UK.
    Last edited by Harry; 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM. Reason: wish to delete post

I make a lot of boxes with applied and inlayed images similar to those one you made. I find that some folks actually prefer applied over inlayed. I keep my applied images about 3/16" thick. I would inlay that image in poplar. One piece, and then carve the internal lines into it with a "V" groover. I then would make a mixture of a contrasting wood powder, like mahogany, and white glue. Smear that on to fill the "V" groove and squeegee it off with a credit card. Sand after it dries. That is how I did this one and others.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
      Reply to New Toy!
      by Rolf
      Quartz I only bought the air filter, That same model is sold by many distributors, I see Grizzly has it and several others. I was going to build one but this thing works great. I will get a charcoal filter for it also. Great when doing Pyrography. They also had a Pfingst brand flex shaft tool I haven't...
      Today, 07:50 AM
    • NC Scroller
      Reply to New Toy!
      by NC Scroller
      Nice score!
      Today, 06:16 AM
    • Quartz43
      Reply to New Toy!
      by Quartz43
      Wow...nice Foredom tool.
      Today, 06:08 AM
    • will8989
      Reply to EX dust collection holes screwed up a project.!
      by will8989
      Carole, only you would cut sprinkles on a scrollsaw. I would probably use rice and stain it. I just gave up replacing my insert. Its worn, but works for what I need. I do sand it to make sure there are no burrs sticking up to scratch the wood. I will be trying the new contact paper when mine runs...
      Yesterday, 08:16 PM
    • will8989
      Reply to Shawl pins
      by will8989
      Thick hair would need a larger opening, thinner hair would require a smaller opening to stay in place. The one being shown in the utube would probably work for thicker hair. They look way better than a pencil or dowel! That elephant sure is cute in her hair!.
      Yesterday, 08:09 PM
    Working...
    X