Wedding box inlay or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding box inlay or not

I am in the process of making this wedding keepsake box, ideally I would like to
    inlay the bride and groom motiff, but inlaying a sillouette is one thing but inlaying it in segments is quite another I am not sure how to go about this can anyone offer me advice?. I decided to cut the motiff out in segments and make an overlay but it does not seem right somhow, it looks rather bulky. Maybe someone has any other ideas of an inlay pattern, and where I can obtain one. I have looked at several issues of Scroll Saw mags but can't find anything suitable. Would be grateful for any advice.

Harry UK.
    Last edited by Harry; 02-14-2012, 05:56 PM. Reason: wish to delete post

I make a lot of boxes with applied and inlayed images similar to those one you made. I find that some folks actually prefer applied over inlayed. I keep my applied images about 3/16" thick. I would inlay that image in poplar. One piece, and then carve the internal lines into it with a "V" groover. I then would make a mixture of a contrasting wood powder, like mahogany, and white glue. Smear that on to fill the "V" groove and squeegee it off with a credit card. Sand after it dries. That is how I did this one and others.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jim Finn; 02-12-2012, 02:06 PM.
    Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
    "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
      Bruce, the one on probation
      by will8989
      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
      Today, 12:59 AM
    • will8989
      Sundays market
      by will8989
      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
      Today, 12:46 AM
    • will8989
      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
      by will8989
      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
      Today, 12:27 AM
    • jim_mex
      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
      by jim_mex
      Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
      Yesterday, 08:47 PM
    • KarlB
      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
      by KarlB
      Very well done!

Karl
      Yesterday, 07:36 PM
    Working...
    X