Clear All

• Around, and around we go...

Pair of Hearts

Round of Pieces

Round Swivels

Fluer De Lis Swivel
    Attached Files
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Another round we go...

Ok, these are anything but round, but they are boxes. These took some digging thru my scrap bins for larger size pieces and parts, so I designed several of them to fit the scraps I had on hand.

Rectangular Valet Style Box

Hidden Hinge

Large Mouth Bass

Slanted View

Tribal Shark

Lady Bug

Attached Files
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Beautiful work, really great use of different woods.
      Pat
      Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

Gee Kim,
        Maybe just a couple of things to help you get used to the new saw...lol.
        You've been a virtual machine...!!
        And all great work...I can't decide on a favorite..Too many choices...
        I like the Slanted one, the hidden hinge, and the large mouth bass, right off the top of my head. But they're all gorgeous...!!!
        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
        No task is too tedious for Art.
        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

They look great Kim! No wonder we haven't heard much from you lately!

You might want to try hot glueing the edges of the wood together when you stack cut rather than double sided tape. A lot easier to get apart.
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Excellent job on all of those Kim. I really like them alot. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
            Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
            John Wayne

Comment

Wow! Wow! Wow!!! I really should write a "wow" for each box. They are wonderful.
              DeWalt 788

Comment

Beautiful work, as always, Kim. I especially like your carved details on the fish--really takes it to the next level!

And I'm pleased that you've been able to use some of the techniques from the new box book to add to your enormous fund of knowledge. Just remember to ramp down the drill press speed for those Forstner bits and clamp the heck out of those little pieces!
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Ho lee cow Kim, when you "play in the studio", you certainly get results.
                  Sweeeeeeeet boxes, all of them, and like Jim I can't choose my favorite.
                  Good luck with your sales, what's next..........you know how we love pictures around here.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Absolutely stunning.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Agreed very nice work, what did you line them with and how?Jerry
                      Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Kim, I'm glad I don't share a shop with you....I'd never get any cutting time. Really great looking boxes. You did a wonderful job on the Fish. And I love the use of all those smaller pieces that we keep around "just in case"
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

Nice work Kim, you have been busy.

Bob
                          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Thanx, thanx, thanx to all my wonderful forum friends...ya know how to put a big smile on a gal's face!!! I was going thru some serious withdrawals and once I got in there I forgot where the doors were located - lol!

Jim

Theresa - thanx gal!!! I remember reading about you using hot glue in one of our emails, but these were such tiny pieces I did not think it would hold in the areas I needed...but I do need to give it a try. Is there a special type of hot glue you use?

DW - thanx a bunch...means a lot coming from one serious skilled box maker himself!

Sally - I appreciate all the Wows...that would be a lot of extra typing...a baker's dozen for sure - lol!

Carole - thanx for the accolades! I have been experimenting more and more with adding carving/detail sanding to more and more of my pieces, as I agree it helps take them up a notch especially since I have to work on my fret cutting.

I really have enjoyed your new book...I have used it a lot for reference and new ideas...a great jumping off point since we all know I kinda drum to a different beat - lol! The barrel hinge section came in handy, as I had been struggling with them on previous projects!

Wood Dog - luv the 'ho lee cow'...it put a big grin on my face - thanx! Ya gotta luv play dates when you get to make sawdust! I took them all down to WAMA today, so hopefully every one of them find new homes for Valentine's Day (wishful thinkin'). While I was there, I was approached by the store manager about bringing more 'wooden pieces' down...what she meant was the various intarsia pieces I have already sold there. Since returning home I have been picking my brain about some simpler projects (no month long projects) that I could take down there and keep them in the $150-250 price range. Anyone got some ideas on pieces/patterns as I do not have a lot of time to sit and design a bunch myself...of course they need to keep with the coastal/nautical/flower themes that most of my project fall into. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike - thanx bud!!! Haven't heard from ya much, hope all is well!

Jerry - appreciate the kind comments. Regarding the 'lining' it is called flocking. It is a fairly simple process and very economical and IMHO I believe it adds a more finished look. Simple how-to...finish wood with Shellac, rough up a little so the paint can adhere, paint with matching acrylic craft paint (I like to add a little white wood glue for longer drying time and adhesion), while wet apply a generous amount of flocking fibers, and then add some more flocking fibers, let stand for 24 hours, remove extra fibers (can be reclaimed/reused for future projects just don't mix colors)...walla, one soft fuzzy box lining! Any whoos here is a website where you can buy the products and get more info DonJer Products Flocking Fibers Soft Flock SuedeTex Product Rayon Nylon Adhesive Applicators Kits Flock. There are several other vendors/sites and such...just google flocking supplies. A little bag goes a long, long way so it is not necessary to buy a giant bag...have fun and experiment with different colors. I have found also that it is not necessary to buy their paints as I have found most the matching colors cheaper at my local discount store...plus I have tons on hand for my dots. I believe there has also been several discussions regarding flocking on the forum just type it in the search engine.

Larry - thanx bud for the kind comments...I'll send my fish over to pick up some of that Koa - lol! I would luv to have someone to play with in the studio...just imagine what kind of boxes we could come up with...and yes, don't believe all the rumors, I do play well with others and would share my scroll saw - lol!

Bob

THANX AGAIN...onto more sawdust!
                            ~ Kim

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Beautiful work. Excellent job.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Today, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Today, 10:32 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                                Today, 09:46 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by NC Scroller
                                I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                                Today, 07:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X