The Cupcake Ring Box--pix and video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cupcake Ring Box--pix and video

If you google "custom ring boxes" you'll see how much they go for. That was one incentive for me to include ring boxes in the new book. Anyone who has contact with a high-end jeweler should be able to get a good business going, supplying custom boxes for expensive rings.

The ring boxes in the book use 5mm barrel hinges (that's my next video, I think), but as I mentioned in the Cupcake Box video, that box could easily be converted into a ring box.

Here's what the box looks like, closed. I shaped it more aggressively than I had previously, and used lots of spray lacquer and "sprinkles".
    cupcake ring box closed.jpg

Here's what the box looks like, opened. Before gluing up the rings, I drilled through the lid insert just until the point came through the top, then finished it as usual.
    cupcake ring box opened.jpg

I moved the slot back slightly so that an ornate ring would appear centered. Although this wasn't a problem with the regular ring boxes, a center slot made the large ring look off-center here. A plain band, however, looked better with a center slot. It would not be a big deal to provide both kinds, if the box isn't being made for a particular ring.

cupcake ring box, top view of slot.jpg

And here's the link to the video. I think I'm starting to get the hang of these.

The Cupcake Ring Box - YouTube
    Last edited by handibunny; 01-30-2012, 05:43 AM.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Nice job Carole!
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Nicely done!

I removed the other thread as requested.......
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Talk about "just in time"........thanks for another sweeeeet video.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Can't wait to see your ring box, WD. Should look great!
          Carole

Comment

Thanks for the great video Carole. I think once I get in to making some of the cupcake boxes I give that a try.
            sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
            To all who serve or have served, Thank you
            Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Glad you all like the video. It's been a while since I made them, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I plan to do one on loops, and one on barrel hinges, for starters.

Joe's gotten really good at the camera work--we even bought a new tripod. I use iMovie for editing to keep the boring parts out, and to keep the length down to under 10 minutes.

If there's every anything you think would be good for a video, please let me know. It's the "ham" in me that's coming out, big time!
              Carole

Comment

Ok Carole how about a video on making those miniature items you have in your new book, like the ones on page 118. I think that might make for some enjoyable viewing and good teaching as well.
                sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Good idea, Dan. I'll try to plan something out. Can't shoot without a script!
                  Carole

Comment

Our very own movie star!!!! lol I've watch the cupcake videos and downloaded them to watch anytime I need them.

Charles
                    Charles

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                      That is...
                      Today, 08:15 AM
                    • Jimern
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by Jimern
                      The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                      Today, 06:29 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                      by will8989
                      The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                      Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                      Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                    • tgiro01
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by tgiro01
                      Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                      Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                    Working...
                    X