The Cupcake Ring Box--pix and video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cupcake Ring Box--pix and video

If you google "custom ring boxes" you'll see how much they go for. That was one incentive for me to include ring boxes in the new book. Anyone who has contact with a high-end jeweler should be able to get a good business going, supplying custom boxes for expensive rings.

The ring boxes in the book use 5mm barrel hinges (that's my next video, I think), but as I mentioned in the Cupcake Box video, that box could easily be converted into a ring box.

Here's what the box looks like, closed. I shaped it more aggressively than I had previously, and used lots of spray lacquer and "sprinkles".
    cupcake ring box closed.jpg

Here's what the box looks like, opened. Before gluing up the rings, I drilled through the lid insert just until the point came through the top, then finished it as usual.
    cupcake ring box opened.jpg

I moved the slot back slightly so that an ornate ring would appear centered. Although this wasn't a problem with the regular ring boxes, a center slot made the large ring look off-center here. A plain band, however, looked better with a center slot. It would not be a big deal to provide both kinds, if the box isn't being made for a particular ring.

cupcake ring box, top view of slot.jpg

And here's the link to the video. I think I'm starting to get the hang of these.

The Cupcake Ring Box - YouTube
    Last edited by handibunny; 01-30-2012, 06:43 AM.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Nice job Carole!
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Nicely done!

I removed the other thread as requested.......
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Talk about "just in time"........thanks for another sweeeeet video.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Can't wait to see your ring box, WD. Should look great!
          Carole

Comment

Thanks for the great video Carole. I think once I get in to making some of the cupcake boxes I give that a try.
            sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
            To all who serve or have served, Thank you
            Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Glad you all like the video. It's been a while since I made them, and I'd forgotten how much fun it is. I plan to do one on loops, and one on barrel hinges, for starters.

Joe's gotten really good at the camera work--we even bought a new tripod. I use iMovie for editing to keep the boring parts out, and to keep the length down to under 10 minutes.

If there's every anything you think would be good for a video, please let me know. It's the "ham" in me that's coming out, big time!
              Carole

Comment

Ok Carole how about a video on making those miniature items you have in your new book, like the ones on page 118. I think that might make for some enjoyable viewing and good teaching as well.
                sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Good idea, Dan. I'll try to plan something out. Can't shoot without a script!
                  Carole

Comment

Our very own movie star!!!! lol I've watch the cupcake videos and downloaded them to watch anytime I need them.

Charles
                    Charles

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• evilbadger
                      Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                      by evilbadger
                      Yes I'm still using the one I built I did some upgrades to it though. I swapped out the pipes for linear motion rails and made the gantry out of aluminum. I guess if I were to upgrade now I would be looking for a full size machine that could do 4x8 sheets of plywood with an automatic tool changer but...
                      Today, 09:28 PM
                    • vgraf
                      Reply to Old Tool - Reborn
                      by vgraf
                      Looks great!
                      Today, 08:15 PM
                    • tgiro01
                      Old Tool - Reborn
                      by tgiro01
                      With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish...
                      Today, 03:24 PM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                      by Rolf
                      I do remember that 2011 Wow, you were gutsy building that then, CNC was just coming into the home environment. Are you still using the one you built?
                      Today, 10:23 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
                      by Rolf
                      Jim that is why there are now CD's available for past issues. To me a copier/scanner and printer are a necessary part of my tool inventory. JMO...
                      Today, 10:19 AM
                    Working...
                    X