Book safes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Book safes...

On my flickr pics, there is a tutorial on how to use your scroll saw to make book safes. I made 5, took them to an "independant" book store, not a big corp. owned store. Was going to see if they would consider putting them in on consignment. Owner bought them outright for $10 each. That was at 2 pm. At 7 pm, they called and wanted a few more. They had already sold two at $14.95 each. They take about 20 minutes to do, not counting glue-drying time, and cost about $.30 cents total. They sell for $17.95 and up on Etsy, and Amazon. You can get the books at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. for $.25 each. One Olson PGT #5 blade lasted about 7 books. I am sure these would sell at craft shows also.
    Check them out. Will answer any questions.

Paul
    www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Paul I love the idea, but I got lost on your flicker pages...anyway you can post a better idea of how you are making these....are you cutting the cover off and the glue it back on....sorry for getting lost on this
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

If you go to the flickr site, then click on the book safe how-to on the top right column, then click on the first pic. Larger pics, and in order, with a description of how-to. You will be able to see I just put the covers together. Hope that helps you, buddy!
      Also, I used an Olson PGT #7 blade on one yesterday, cut a bit quicker, and just as clean.
      If anyone does this, wear a dust mask! I also use my shop vac, It does put out some fine dust, even when I used my box fan/filter set-up.
      The bookstore had sold another one, and ordered 5 more from me. Had them done in 2 hours, and 20 minutes, including the glue-drying time. Another $50!

Paul

Comment

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your post.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks Mike. I wasn't sure which category to place it in.

Paul

You are welcome, sometimes I let them sit for a day or so and see if they get much traffic. If not, I move em..
          Last edited by wood-n-things; 01-25-2012, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Good Job Paul. I was thinking of making a few also but was not sure if the market for selling them was good.
            Mark
            Proud new owner of an EX-21

WWW.MGMWOODWORKS.COM

Comment

A very clever idea.
              Thank you for sharing.
              I think i will make a few.

It's all fun
              Terry
              Craftsman 18"
              Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Shrink wrap systems
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                Today, 11:51 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Sundays market
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                Today, 11:39 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to New tools
                by Linda In Phoenix
                New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                Today, 11:36 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Interesting pallet
                by Linda In Phoenix
                At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                Today, 11:32 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Interesting pallet
                by NC Scroller
                I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                Today, 11:30 AM
              Working...
              X