Struggling with wooden lock!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with wooden lock!!!

I have been trying to get my wooden lock made the last couple weeks, but keep running into problems!! This one seems silly, but I'm going to ask anyway!! I'm on step number 5, I've cut the rectangular outline. I had to freehand the 1 1/2 inch hole, but I think I did a pretty good job!

025.jpg

Then it talks about drilling a 3/8" x 1/8" deep holes for the buttons. I don't know if I got the wrong size buttons, but there is no way they are going to fit into that hole!!

Lock button.jpg

I got 1/2" buttons like it says. Am I missing something or should this be 1/2" holes?? Thanks so much for always helping me even with the silly questions!!!
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

I just looked at the buttons. It is a 1/2 inch button but the plug part of it fits a 3/8 hole.
    I don't have the package anymore but it should tell you the hole diameter it will fit.
    It is one of the last things to be put on anyway, so leave it with the 3/8 hole.
    The buttons you bought are for a 1/2 inch hole.

One other heads up. In figure 11 it tells you NOT to glue the shackle pin (dowel), you will do that in fig 17.
    I screwed up when I did the test cut and glued it, I later had to drill it out.
    Last edited by Rolf; 01-22-2012, 09:18 AM.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thank Rolf!!! At least I know I'm not crazy... well I don't think I am! I just figured 1/2" diameter meant 1/2" diameter. I have not drilled the holes in my lock for this yet. I drilled practice holes to set the depth, that's how I realized it would not fit. Do you think I could use them and drill them 1/2 or should I get 3/8" plugs instead?? "Thanks so much for your help!!
      Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

Cathy I'm not sure what size buttons I used because I had a few loose buttons (don't you dare say you already knew....) in my box of cool stuff. I just took the measurement of the part that glues into the wood and drilled that size hole. Smart practice drilling holes in scrap first.......I'm keeping that tip. Thanks.
        Just have fun, its a neat project to work on.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thank you Wood Dog!! This is a junk drawer:

001.jpg

I know everyone has a junk drawer but this is the first time I've heard of a box of cool stuff!! I'm going to have one of them from now on!! I love that term!! I have a hard time deviating from the instructions, but I'm gonna go for it!! I'm headed out to the shop to finish my lock! I'll be back with pictures!!!
          Cathy in NE

Comment

Hey Cathy there is definitely a distinction between a junk draw, and a box of cool stuff.
            Here is my junk draw
            junk draw (Small).JPG
            and here is one of my many boxes of cool stuff
            box of cool stuff (Small).JPG
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Get the 3/8 buttons. I just went to Lowes and looked at the packaging on th plugs.
              I think the article should have called for 3/8 not the 1/2 in the materials list.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                by cwmagee
                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                Today, 07:28 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Rolf
                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                That is...
                Today, 08:15 AM
              • Jimern
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by Jimern
                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                Today, 06:29 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by will8989
                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market
                by will8989
                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
              Working...
              X