Cut Compound Chess Piece's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Compound Chess Piece's

I just got the book Making Wooden Chess Sets by Jim Kape and I have a question on cutting the piece's that I unsure of and I want to make sure I get it right before I get started and mess things up. It has to do with the base of the piece (please see photo) I'm not sure how to cut the or even if I need to cut the left hand (left hand as your looking at the photo). I know there are some of you that have make chess piece's from this book so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with this. I looked over the book but I can see anything that will help me. I've done compounf cuts before but I'm drawing a big blank. Thank in advance for the help.
    Once I get the basic cutting down I'll have another question on Cutting the Knight. I really hoping I can make these chess piece's. I dont play my self but my Grandson Scott what to learn and my older brothers son is a big chess player. Oh one more question on stock have anyone used 1 1/2" square turning stock to make the pieces?
    Attached Files
    sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
    To all who serve or have served, Thank you
    Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

You do not need to cut the line of the base

It's all fun
    Terry
    Craftsman 18"
    Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore

Comment

Dan, you can contact Jim directly--his forum "handle" is Azbison. There's also a place for author questions, or you could PM him directly. He's always been responsive to questions about his work.

This doesn't mean that help isn't available from many other folks, but I'm sure he'd like to help anyone who is working on a project he's designed.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

We think alike Carole. I sent Jim a PM a little while ago. I think I may have remembered how to do it but I'll have to wait for a while to try it out, it's pouring down rain right how and I'd be soaked before I got to my shop so I think it's best to wait and besides I'm right in the middle of a game.
        Last edited by Band Saw Box; 01-21-2012, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Excuses, excuses, Dan. You just don't want to get to work!
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I have done a chess set and a few others, what I found was

Flying Dutchman POLAR #5 worked best for me.

Use a 3D Scroll Saw Cutting Jig - YouTube

I leave about 1/2" of wood at the base uncut to hold things together.
            and leave some wood at the top as well.
            Drill a starter hole for each side, when finished cutting the sides then cut off the bottom. helps keep things together.
            I also wrapped the wood in clear packing tape and after the first side is cut, I put on another coat of tape to hold things together.
            The other John A. Nelson
            johnsworkshop.com
            sigpic
            I just follow the lines and make sawdust
            on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

It really help if you hit submit when you want to post a reply and not the red x at the top. Thanks for the help I've been out in the shop and have one cut I post it in a bit.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
                by Jim McDonald
                Twenty years in electronics retail and here is a quick dirty way to tell the difference:
                a fast blow will only have the wire element. Slow blow almost always has some extra structure that will be left behind after the fuse blows.
                Secondly, there is a series of three letter engraved on one...
                Yesterday, 08:54 PM
              • Ennobee
                Reply to Looking For Mom and Baby Animal Pattern
                by Ennobee
                They look like David Spielmann's Designs to me. I will check my library this evening, but I bet you already that they are from one of his pattern books.
                Yesterday, 01:55 PM
              • jim_mex
                Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
                by jim_mex
                Thanks all - you folks do wonders for my ego with your comments and importantly fire me up to keep trying new things

Scott - once this Covid situation has passed I'll definitely be heading up to NC. I'm tentatively thinking late spring/early summer next year. I am not sure just what pointers...
                Yesterday, 01:35 PM
              • JustLarry
                Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
                by JustLarry
                I found this information on fuses in general.

Blowing type. Fast-blow fuses will blow as soon as the current reaches the fuse's amperage rating, while slow-blow fuses are designed to tolerate a large number of startup surges and modest short-term overloads without blowing.
                Fast-blow...
                Yesterday, 12:56 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to Giraffe sold at charity auction
                by Rolf
                WOW! That is exciting.
                Yesterday, 09:42 AM
              Working...
              X