screw eyes for mini birdhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screw eyes for mini birdhouses

I just started cutting some of the winter mini birdhouses from the 'other' magazine. I know alot of people on here cut them, so here's my dillema: I ordered abunch of screw eyes according to the size listed in the project article -212 1/2. When I got them, they seemed a bit big for the size of the birdhouse, and also looked bigger than what was in the pictures.
    Is this the size people are using? or is there a smaller size that works better? I'm just wondering if I may have gotten sent the wrong size.

Steve

It can be hard to find very small screweyes. I buy them in bulk for just over 10 cents apiece (bags of 100) and I get the smallest size my mail order supplier, Bear Woods, carries, which is 3x11x5 mm. They're perfect for not only the birdhouses but my bird ornaments and angel ornaments. I use a 3/64 bit to drill the pilot holes (when not using a thumbtack), which is sometimes hard to find too!

I'm sure you can find them in the US somewhere, but if you want to check out Bear Woods' site, it's Wholesale Wood Craft Supplies - Toy wheels, Shaker pegs, Dowels, Clock Parts, Picture Hangers and more and it has both Canadian and American sites. Type "screweyes" in the search engine.

Best of luck to you.

Lou
    www.woodbylouise.ca

Comment

Steve the ones I use are 5/8 tip to tip, and 1/4 eye OD. I got them at Michael's Craft Store.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I use the 3mm from Lee Valley

Screw Eyes - Lee Valley Tools

I ordered an assortment of 3, 4 5. and 7 as they are quite cheap. $2 per 100.

I had some 3mm nickle that I got at Hobby Lobby but I prefer the brass

Don
        Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

Years ago I used to make fishing lures and I had a lot of screw eyes left over, they worked great for the birdhouses.

Bob
          Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I have been looking for some.

George

Comment

I got mine from Home Depot. They are silver color and not brass, but they work just as well.

Charles
              Charles

Comment

I make my own. I use jewelry wire and safety wire pliers to twist my own. I will take pictures if anyone wants to see how I do it. I can make any size I want.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I ordered another set of patterns directly from Diana's website, and that set calls for the 3mm size eyelets. I'm not sure why the magazine article called for a different size. Hopefully I'll find something to do with the bigger eyelets later.

Steve

Comment

I have ruined a few (3 or 4) of the birdhouses when the wood splits at the top. Tried drilling but that didn't help. Not to much lost as I don't. sell them but it is a little aggravating. Probably could take more care.
                    Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                    Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                    Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Drill the holes prior to cutting out the birdhouses.
                      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I found a good selection of small screw eyes at the local True Value. Ok, unless you want large quantities, which would get expensive.
                        Fred

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                          Drill the holes prior to cutting out the birdhouses.
                          That is a lot easier said than done. I tried and ruined two more before I gave that up. Maybe go with the idea of cutting a hole sideways thru it.
                          Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                          Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                          Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

I have a dremel with the flex shaft and small chuck on the end. I have it connected to a foot switch. It is then very easy to put the tip of the drill bit where you want it, step on the pedal and you are done.
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I have bought small scew eyes from Woodworks Ltd . the smallest size is 5/16 overall length Shank length is 13/64 and the insde eye dia is 1/32
                              Their e-mail address is Wood Craft Products - Wooden Shaker Pegs, Balls, Wood Toy Wheels

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X