The jointer is jumping!! Making chain blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The jointer is jumping!! Making chain blanks

I got up the nerve to try it!! I used a 1 1/2 1 1/2 poplar that I've had sitting around. Was really excited because I thought they were a different size, but they were perfect!

I forgot to take the camera out with me to take pictures of the process, but I took some afterward to kind of show you.

It was a bit of a balancing act, but really not too bad. I also had help! My husband kind of pulled back on the guard to start me through. It was a little difficult to push it through and hold it straight.
    009.jpg

Once I got started it would snug up nicely against the board and help keep it aligned.
    007.jpg

It looked really strange about half way through and I didn't think it was going to work, but by the time I got to 1/2 inch it was a cross!!
    015.jpg

I did gouge it a little on one side. But once I figured out the "touch" it came out pretty well.
    020.jpg

And voila.... 1/2 inch rectangle cuts!! It didn't take too awfully long, about a half hour. Took little bits at a time. I think it would be fast if I did it again.
    023.jpg

Just another "work around" for a problem!! Thanks for looking!!
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Good for you. Just please always be aware of where your fingers are in that procedure it will only take a millisecond for a tragic outcome. I know a push stick will be more difficult to control but i would not feel real comfortable having my fingers that close to the jointer cutters. Looking forward to some more WIP pics of your chain. Whoooo hoo...
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

"Ho lee chit" Cathy you are one brave woman, so glad it worked out for ya. Just be careful, make yourself some push sticks or something. Looks like a sweeeeet sturdy machine.
      Now comes the fun to scroll that cross. Good luck.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks for worrying about me Mike and Wood Dog! The jointer was not running when I took the photos. I used my push blocks for a long time, but when I got a really big edge on it I did just use my hands, but very carefully. I know this is a dangerous machine. I still like it better than a table saw!!
        Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

Good for you. You have been paying attention on here....GRIN! Looking forward to those pics.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

It looks great. A nice solution, and my jointer will do this, so thanks again for the tip.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

More power to you Cathy. The joiner and tablesaw are two tools in my shop I really respect. Not sure I would try what you did, but so glad it worked for you. So that was a chain blank you made?
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X