Circle Jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle Jig

I am making a circle jig for making bowls and was wondering if any one else has made or used one. I find with the angle of the table I stll have troble staying on the line. It feels like if I could make my hands a perfect pivot point I could stay on the line better. I also find myself having to remember to keep pushing the wood up the slope otherwise I have side pressure on the blade. So I thought about making one to see if I can cut a better circle.

Has any made or used one?

Brian

Milwaukee

Brian it takes practice to cut a circular ring at an angle other than 90 degrees. There is a tenancy to push and pull the ring around and force the cut. Take your time and try not to push and pull the cut too much. Cut a bit slower and you should be ok. The problem about a circle jig would be the same issues you had / have cutting it free hand. Practice and take your time is the best advice.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

Brian,

I agree with DW's advice. It's worth your while to learn how to control the wood. Try using a circle about 6", of a lightweight wood, like aspen or cedar, which will be easier to control. If your table tilt is left side down, think about pushing up and to the right. That should help keep you from pulling on the blade. Also, if you keep your hands near the blade, you'll have more control over the wood.

Once you learn to control the wood, you can then do other shapes--square, rectangular, petals, etc., which is part of the fun of making scrolled bowls.

Don't give up--it's a pretty quick learning curve if you hang in there.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I..ve done about 6-8 bowls now this one is the thickest I've done. My first required a lot of sanding due to lousy cutting;-) These bvowls were the first things I made on the scroll saw. I think my saw kind of stinks. Have trouble keeping as much tension on the blade, a bit of slippage in the blade. It was the first ring on this thick bowl that got me thinking about a jig. I'm doing a 13" 1" thick cherry bowl right now. I am going to see how this jig works I should have it done tomorrow.

Here are a couple that I have done, Of course with a thanks to you Carol.

Brian
        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work, Brian. I'd never know you were having problems!

I think I'd have a hard time handling 1" thick cherry with a 13" bowl--hope you're using some good blades.

Please post pictures of your results, and also of your jig. Thanks, and good luck!
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Very nice, I particularly like bowls 2 and 4.
            The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Well done .
              Roger

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                Shrink wrap systems
                by Linda In Phoenix
                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                Today, 11:51 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Sundays market
                by Linda In Phoenix
                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                Today, 11:39 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to New tools
                by Linda In Phoenix
                New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                Today, 11:36 AM
              • Linda In Phoenix
                Reply to Interesting pallet
                by Linda In Phoenix
                At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                Today, 11:32 AM
              • NC Scroller
                Reply to Interesting pallet
                by NC Scroller
                I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                Today, 11:30 AM
              Working...
              X