Wooden chain question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden chain question

I really want to make the wooden chain that is in the Spring issue but like Carole Rothman I don't have a table saw. I wondered if it would be possible to prepare the cross blank on the jointer?? I was watching a video on you tube on creating rabbets on the jointer and wondered if this could be done. The video I'm referring to is here. I have the same jointer. I thought it might be too dangerous working with a small blank??? Any thoughts on this?? Thanks so much for your help!!!
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Watch the video several times so you know how to do the setup and it looks fairly safe to me. I'm going to see if my jointer will allow this. Great tip.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Kathy

If you like a will cut out some chain blanks abd send them to you. If charge would be mareials and shipping.

I would use bass wood if it was up to me but walnut wold look cool

Flat rate box ship for about 10.50 and are 23 11/16" x 11 3/4" x 3" in size.

That would be a lot of blanks

Dave

Comment

A router would also do the job!

Dave

Comment

GREAT link and tip, thanks Cathy!
          I will have to look at my Jet Jointer to see if it can do that.
          The only thing that might be a bit challenging will be keeping things square since you are making a cross
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That's what I thought too Rolf. Not sure how to accomplish that. If you try it will you let me know what you think?? Also Mike if you try it let me know how it goes.

Dave thank you so much for the offer!!! I tell you what if I can't figure out how to do it on my own I will definitely take you up on that!!!
            Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

That video looks cool Cathy, my jointer doesn't have that capability. I was going to use the table saw, but challenged myself to find an alternative way to cut the blank. For those who don't have a table saw, jointer, or router, you can accomplish the cut using a Multi Max tool if you have one of those. Here's a couple of photos of how I cut mine.
              IMG_6088 (Small).JPG IMG_6089 (Small).JPG IMG_6090 (Small).JPG IMG_6091 (Small).JPG
              Last edited by Wood Dog; 01-07-2012, 08:04 PM.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

You are a genius Wood Dog!! Actually this is really cool learning how you can work around problems!! Carole I hope you check out this thread!! I know she was wondering about different ways to create the blank. I don't have dremel multi-max, but I do have the rockwell sonicrafter. Did you use a blade like this? I have to see if we have a vise and I might try this out tomorrow..... unless I get bold enough to try the jointer!!
                Cathy in NE

Comment

WD another great solution , with the right wood it probably went fast.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Yep that's the type of blade Cathy.....if you do go that route, just make sure you line up your wood level and clamp good. I took a small chunk off to see if I was going along level, that is the small piece you see in the photo. It took a while to do with this method Rolf, because I'm using oak, but very doable.
                    Last edited by Wood Dog; 01-07-2012, 09:07 PM.
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I've been a carver for some time...
                      If you have the patience and a sharp knife, you can also cut it, chip by chip.
                      I made one long ago. It hangs off of my drafting lamp. Did the whole thing with a knife.....
                      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                      No task is too tedious for Art.
                      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

What if you didn't cut the blank into a cross, and used it just as a 1-1/2" square piece, like Steve Good does in his video. I haven't tried the project, but is it different from Steve's, and if so, in what way?
                        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by JimSawyer
                          Did the whole thing with a knife.....
                          Now that would be an awesome photo to see......hint, hint, Jim.

Carole having done Steve Good's chain pattern, and starting on this latest issue's chain pattern, all I can say is both ways can be done somewhat easily. Both patterns require you to free the chains by hand using whatever you so choose to cut them apart. Patience here is needed. I will say though that making the cross first is a bit more challenging to scroll, for me at least, because you have to twist and turn to see what ya doing because of the different height levels.
                          In no way am I criticizing the pattern maker, Lord knows I sure appreciate the time and effort all pattern makers take to give us some sweeeeeet projects.
                          I think I can see a chain bowl, or box in Carole's future.....do you agree with me guys/gals?
                          With your ability, it will be a piece of cake.....and freeing the chain links from each other you will be getting a bit of carving experience to boot.
                          Sorry Cathy didn't mean to hijack your thread......

Comment

something to do with a chain I had made.
                            Attached Files
                            Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
                            "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

Now that is really cool! Your own design?
                              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• markdavd
                                Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                                by markdavd
                                I've been using the bags from Amazon and a heat gun my wife bought when she was a preschool teacher. Unless you are wrapping of small parts, you don't need a sealer. Just fold it over and hold it with a small piece of scotch tape on the back. After you shrink it it's sealed enough to keep everything...
                                Today, 09:45 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                by NC Scroller
                                My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                                Today, 07:42 AM
                              • will8989
                                by will8989
                                None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                                Today, 12:20 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                                The bags seem easier on the surface.
                                But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                                Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                                Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                              Working...
                              X