Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can y'all suggest Compound Cutting Book(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can y'all suggest Compound Cutting Book(s)

Can y'all point me in the directions of something like a "compound cutting for Dummies" book? Pictures I see here are fascinating, but I'm totally baffled at how it is done...

Thanks!

Phil J.

Try Diana Thompson books she has several on the fox chapel site. Just do a search for them.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Yes, by all means, Diana Thompson. She is the best for compound cutting and gives real good instructions.

I think it's real neat the way, after finishing cutting you find the finished product in the middle of all the wood wast.

I am working on the San Francisco chess set found in Jim Kape's book Making Wooden Chess Sets. You can find the book on the Fox Chapel site.

-Bill
      -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

Here is another resource 3-D Scrollsaw Patterns
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Phil by all means do get some of Diana Thompsons books, she's the compound Queen.
          As Mike suggested, Fox Chapel Publishing carries them, you could also go to Amazon.com
          and if you don't mind used books, you can get them at a lower price.
          Good luck and please do post some of your projects when finished, we love project photos around here, not mandatory to post, but sure appreciated.
          Steve Good has a great beginner video here......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1_Tg...feature=relmfu
          I would highly suggest making a jig to hold your compound block, as Steve shows in his video.

Here's a link to YouTube with various videos on compound cutting. compound cutting on scroll saw - YouTube
          Last edited by Wood Dog; 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Phil it may look hard after you try it .its not that hard .like the others have said any of Diana Thompsons pattern books will help you

Comment

I bought 3D Scroll Saw Patterns & Techniques by Henry Berns. The book does address technique and finishing and lots of patterns. The latter, however, I do not find very useful. I'm being polite when I say they are not very 'sophisticated'. Had I had the book in my hands prior to buying I would put it back on the shelf. I guess it depends upon what kinds of patterns you are looking to try.
              Mike

Craftsman 16" VS, Puros Indios and Sam Adams!
              Scrollin' since Jun/2006

My Gallery

http://scrollcrafters.com (reciprocal links welcomed)

Comment

Originally posted by wwalker47 View Post
                Yes, by all means, Diana Thompson. She is the best for compound cutting and gives real good instructions.

I think it's real neat the way, after finishing cutting you find the finished product in the middle of all the wood wast.

I am working on the San Francisco chess set found in Jim Kape's book Making Wooden Chess Sets. You can find the book on the Fox Chapel site.

-Bill
                You don't start off with an easy one do you??? What woods are you using?
                -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                Jim
                DW788
                My scrollin' blog

The worst day scrollin' is better than the best day o' workin'

Comment

Diana Thompson has many books and you surely can find one that interest you. Lots of different designs and wonderful explanations.
                  Diane
                  Dragon
                  Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                  Owner of a Dewalt 788
                  PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                    Shrink wrap systems
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                    Today, 11:51 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Sundays market
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                    Today, 11:39 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to New tools
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                    Today, 11:36 AM
                  • Linda In Phoenix
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by Linda In Phoenix
                    At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                    Today, 11:32 AM
                  • NC Scroller
                    Reply to Interesting pallet
                    by NC Scroller
                    I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                    Today, 11:30 AM
                  Working...
                  X