HELP! Making a Scroll Saw Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Making a Scroll Saw Bowl

I'm new to this forum but figured if anyone could help me....you guys could! I bought the book on how to make scroll saw bowls and started my first project. The book states to tilt the table to the left....I have a delta P20 and it does NOT tilt to the left....only the right. I still began my project figuring left? right? Who cares, right? WRONG! When I cut the first circle it cuts into circle #2 and the angle is wrong even though it's been squared to 28 degrees as described in the book. So does this mean I can't make a scroll saw bowl on my saw since it only tilts right? Or is there another way to accomplish making a bowl? I've cut everything from a chess set to decorative boxes and this just has me stumped! Thanks for your help!!!

Heidi it really makes little difference on cutting the rings. One of the things you might want to try is get a practice board and cut some rings first cutting clockwise and then cutting counter clockwise. You will see the difference immediately between the two. Your ultimate goal for making a bowl here Heidi is to cut the rings so that one ring stacks on top of the other as smoothly as possible. If you take your table and tilt it RIGHT side down you will need to go in the clockwise direction when cutting out the rings. Hope this helps a bit.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

Heidi, you've come to the right place. I received a question about this very same problem just last week, and there's a very easy solution.

If your table only tilts to the right, you need to cut COUNTERCLOCKWISE whenever the instructions call for cutting clockwise (which is almost always). This means that you feed the wood in a clockwise direction which makes the blade look like its moving counterclockwise. Instead of the wood being mostly to the left of the blade, it will be mostly to the right of the blade.

The ring that you cut will be wider at the top than at the bottom. To be sure you've got this right, draw a small circle on a piece of wood and cut around it, going counterclockwise. If you've gotten it right, the top will be wider than the bottom.

There are certain situations when you'll need to cut in the other direction, but those are for projects at the end of the book, and are for special effects.

If you have any other questions or problems, you can ask me directly in the section of the forum for author's questions. Or, you can email me at my blog email, which is [email protected]. I have a lot of bowl videos posted on my blog, but you can also access them from Sections to the left of the forum posts, under Videos. You'll also find a video that goes through the whole process of making a simple bowl.

And by now, a lot of folks here have been making bowls for a while, so there's a whole bunch of people who can help you out.

Let us know how you make out, and please post pictures when you make your first bowl.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

I get confused thinking of the wood going clock wise or the blade going clockwise....right tilt or left tilt? Maybe someone can explain this by pointing out that one must have the inside of the bowl pattern on the LOWER table side of the blade..... I imagine directions like that would be less confusing but I am not sure. ( This is the way I think about it when setting up double bevel inlays)
        Hegner Polymax- 3,Hegner Multimax-3,
        "No PHD, just a DD 214"

Comment

You want to cut so the rings taper towards the middle. Rhat is the rin is smaller on the botton than at the top. Any clearer.

Dave

Comment

Jim, I actually had included your suggestion in my post to Heidi, but in terms of the side of the blade where most of the wood lies.

Actually, it's far simpler than it seems if you keep in mind that in any step-by-step article, or in my book, there are many pictures of what the wood and table look like as you cut. I take my process shots from the perspective of the scroller, which makes it easy to see what it should look like. I've had my share of mishaps, too, when I was not able to visualize what things should look like.

I had considered including something in the book about the relationship between direction of table tilt and cutting direction, but decided that that would be too confusing for someone just starting out. Since most scroll saws either tilt both ways, or give a full tilt left side down, I decided to go with the most common situation.

Even now, if I've been away from bowl work for awhile and am trying something new, I have to think hard about how to steer things. But I'm always on the lookout for people whose table is a right side down only, since it's a problem that's easy to fix.
            Carole

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and prompt answers to my questions. I have successfully cut my first bowl and I am now in the process of sanding it! I'm so excited. It turned out just like the book said it would - once I quit confusing myself with clockwise - counter clockwise scenario. Thanks again and I hope you all have a great Christmas!!!!
              Heidi

Comment

Glad it worked out, Heidi. Don't forget to post pictures of your success, and have a great Christmas!
                Carole

Comment

Carole your gooooood. Merry Christmas
                  Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                  Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                  Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

NOW you've got me determined to try a bowl -- they are SO beautiful but just looking at people's comments and questions made it seem a bit more complicated than I cared to deal with. Thanks to your specific instructions on locating the video AND your wonderful basic video, plus Heidi's success, it all makes sense to me now, and I'm really eager to make my first bowl!!! I've got a little time tomorrow (Christmas) plus the day after before I have to return to work, so that should be plenty of time for a new project. THANKS!!!!

Comment

Patte, it's not really complicated at all. If you have any questions, just give a holler and we'll come running.
                      Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by NC Scroller
                        I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                        Today, 11:24 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by NC Scroller
                        Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                        Today, 11:18 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                        by jim_mex
                        Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                        Today, 09:17 AM
                      • jim_mex
                        Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                        by jim_mex
                        Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                        Today, 08:42 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                        by Rolf
                        WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                        Today, 08:20 AM
                      Working...
                      X