Collapsible basket for SIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsible basket for SIL

This is my last official Christmas gift for the year. My sister-in-law really liked the test basket I made out of a pine scrap.

I made this one out of reclaimed western (white?) oak that had been part of a gun cabinet. I stained it with golden pecan to enhance the grain and brushed on 2 coats of satin wipe-on poly with fine sanding between coats.

Thanks to Carole Rothman for this pattern. Pattern was in Last year's SWWC Holiday Issue 2.

I think she'll like it.

Nancy in AZ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rippersmom; 12-19-2011, 03:46 PM. Reason: added pattern source
    A clean house is a sign of a broken scroll saw!

Looks really nice, Nancy. I'm sure your SIL will be delighted.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh yea Nanc..........sweeeeet is sweeeet.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

One of my favorite bowls to make. Sure, it brought a smile to her face.

Comment

Very nice Nancy. I'm glad to see they are making a come back again...used to make allot of them in years past.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

rippersmon, good job on it. I made one out of 3/4 maple and a 7 blade with a 3% drop of the table,on a dewalt 788. Mine dose not open as wide as yours. What setting and blade did you use? Thanks, Lance

Comment

Thanks, everyone!
              I was happy with how it turned out. It's the second one I've cut, but the first one was just a test to check the angle and I never did put the thing together. I will eventually, though, since it turned out okay.

Lance, I used 3/4 oak, a 3 degree angle on my DW788, and a #9 FD UR blade, as recommended in the instructions for the basket/bowl.
              The kerf on yours would be narrower, using the #7 blade, and that's why it doesn't open quite as much.

I also sanded each ring lightly, with fine sandpaper, especially on the edges of the rings, to smooth them so they would slide easily when opening the bowl.

Nancy in AZ

Comment

Lovely - You inspire me to make some!
                DeWalt 788

Comment

Great job Nancy, I am sure your SIL will luv how it turned out! I haven't attempted one of these yet, but after seeing how yours turned out I might just have to give it a try...thanx for the inspiration!
                  ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Nicely done. Looks great.
                    The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Lovely job.
                      Roger

Comment

Looks great!

What I do to figure out the angle is to cut a small circle into the scrap edge of your wood. I try recommended angle then more or less depending on how far in I want the piece to drop back. I cut into the edge somewhere then make a circle maybe the size of a sharpy marker then right back out. Easy way to test.

Comment

Good idea to test the angle. Unless you're using the same blade, and the wood is exactly the same thickness, the angle might need "tweaking". Test cuts are routine for inlay, and probably a good idea for any kind of angled cuts.
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Nancy,
                            Your basket is beautiful. Where can I get the pattern?
                            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkie View Post
                              Nancy,
                              Your basket is beautiful. Where can I get the pattern?
                              Thanks.
                              Thanks.
                              The pattern is in the 2010 Holiday Issue #2 of SWWC magazine.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X