Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first project

Hi

this is my very first project, a pattern by Steve Good which I modified slightly for my own use. I made plenty of mistakes along the way with getting the piece glued up, but it is square thankfully.

There are plenty of novice
    mistakes but none fatal hehe. I learned a lot making this. Just some bits to add like some felt underneath, and a small light to shine through the glass. I may do another glass pattern but this one will do for now as I dont think I will have time with christmas being so close and still lots to do outside my shed

The Project is a gift for my wife, I think she will like it hehe.

P.S. Tulipwood and Mahogany, oiled (Danish) then waxed.

Sunlion
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sunlion; 12-19-2011, 03:39 AM. Reason: additional info
    The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

They will be wonderful gifts. You have done Steve's pattern justice.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

First Project? They both look like they were done by a very experienced scroller. Nice work!
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

That's some very nice work. Great job!
        Dan

My Gallery

Comment

Thanks for the positive comments, made my day.

The small light I was going to use is too underpowered to shine through the painted glass, so will be searching the internet for a brighter one. Steve's video shows a type but have not found one yet here in UK. Must keep looking.

Thanks

Sunlion/Steve

ps. Found this, this may do the trick http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools...4302391&sr=1-2
          Last edited by Sunlion; 12-19-2011, 07:48 AM. Reason: added link

My Google+

Comment

She's going to LOVE it Steve..........and yes "The Journey Is Everything."
            Well done!
            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

No stopping you now , your on your way . Well done .
              Roger

Comment

Sure looks much nicer than my first project. Very nice indeed.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Danny, Ramjet, Wood dog, means a lot in that I am on the right track and I have found something else that has 'Heart'.

Realy enjoyed making this, least of all because I had to wrestle with a machine that was not realy suited to the task, and I hade tool limitations that I had to figure around, and I am normaly woodworkerly challenged.

Sunlion/Steve

My Google+

Comment

Nicely done.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Wow! My first project was a simple outline of a cat, and I was overjoyed to come close to the cutting lines. Can't wait to see #2.
                      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Wood-n-things, handibunny,

project number 2? hehe, I have been inspired so much with everyones work on display here on site that much that I am like a dog chasing it's own tail in terms of trying to make my mind up as what to do next.

I have a little of the Tulipwood 6" wide left, some Mahogany 4"wide and some Obeche 4" wide all around 6mm, plus some Birch faced Ply. Was thinking of trying a small sewing or trinket box for my daughter for the new year. Will have to wait for my new machine to do a marquetry (sp) pattern in the lid mind.

I have started to design the box build with a couple layers of lift out layers just need to think of a not too dificult design for the lid.

But knowing me, now I have the bug, that wood may never see the box hehe, before I have sawdust to show for my need to feed my new addiction. Guess the site I got it from will be getting some more orders come new year.

Sunlion

My Google+

Comment

Sunlion, mistakes what mistakes! It's a one of a kind. I really like the heart bow you used on it.Lance

Comment

Thanks lance, I think it was from a font I found which I cut bits out of in Inkscape to make it look as it does then printed out on sticky label (it was too fussy and fragile for my first attempt before I altered it).

The woods are a sandwich of Tulipwood and Mahogany.

Only problem with the top piece, is that it is pretty fragile in parts, so I will insist on being the duster polisher on the clock hehe.

As for mistakes, hehe, I craftily hid those, but did learn a lot for future projects.

Thanks for your comments.

Sunlion

My Google+

Comment

My wife loves the clock. Glad I came to this site as it inspired me in some of its aspects.

At start of thread I posted a couple picures of it.

However, couple days after I asked my daughter if she wished to add anything. She wantedthe butterfly to the right of the clock face, so I added that. Unfortunately it looked imbalanced after glueing it in place. I knew I would need to balance it diagonaly, so invited my son to choose what to add bottom left, and he chose a flower. So I added that.

I think its a nice fun piece now with the additions, plus my kids (hehe in their 30's but still kids to me :P ) felt they had a hand in it's creation, so that was a plus.

Picture below, plus a picture of it lit up. Not a great shot but could not get a clearer one with my camera so will have to suffice.

Main thing is my wife still has a smile on her face. Win, Win. hehe

Sunlion
                              Attached Files

My Google+

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X