Christmas Orders Completed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Orders Completed...

YIPPEE!!! I was excited to get these orders but they presented some challenges! My wood order took an additional ten days to arrive and put me in a severe time crunch to get them all done. Then of course my teeny weeny inadequate scrollsaw decided to not hold a line for nothing and the extra sanding was a major time consumer...but all in all I was happy with the end results and actually finished them on schedule (after a week of 3-5 am work days).

All in all I completed a total of ten boxes;
    3-Scalloped Seashell Boxes, created from Auromatic Cedar & Cherry
    2-Gone Fishin' Pelican Boxes, woods used were Poplar, Blue Pine, Mahogany, Ash, Yellowheart & Black Walnut
    2-Maple Leaf Boxes, one was created using a similar technique as I did on my Sweetgum Box using three types of veneer and then sanding them down for the different colors to show, woods used were Black Walnut Veneer, Mahogany Veener, Pecan Veneer & Poplar. Second box I used Maple & Flame Birch for the lid.
    1-Turbine Shell Box, this one I used Black Walnut for the carcass and drawers, with Leopardwood for the drawer fronts and recyled Teak (from an old yacht) for the handles.
    2-Book Stash Boxes, these are great scrap projects as I used all different types of woods from Black Walnut, Cherry, White & Red Oak, Yellowheart, Mahogany, Cypress, Poplar & Cocobolo

I took the photos really quick, so I apologize for the quality...and then realized that I forgot to take a photo of the last Book Stash Box I made, which is a bummer as I think the color combo of the woods used was the best one yet...oh well, the customer was really excited about it!

I have one more project 'Frajellie' (acrylic jellyfish) to finish before the holidays and then volunteered to go spray texture a friend's remodel job and then paint it the next week...as they say no rest for the wicked - lol!

Thanx for letting me share, any and all comments are welcomed!
    HEAUX, HEAUX, HEAUX - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
    Attached Files
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Kim, they are just too beautiful and fabulous pieces of art. Great job all around. You should be very proud to show off your craftsmanship.

Mike

Comment

Gorgeous work, Kim. I really love the book stash boxes. They are amazing.

Jan

Comment

Kim fabulous stuff - it always takes me a little while to work out how you did it. Love the stash box and the scallop boxes caught my eye too.

Have a good one.
        Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

Realy nice work, I got to say, those shells and leaves look good enough to eat

Sunlion
          The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Can I get on your Xmas list?
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

You are one working machine, and the outcome is beautiful. Well done, absolutely sweeeeet!
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Oh wow, what beautiful gifts. You did an excellent job.

Comment

Beautiful craftmanship!

Comment

Kim you have created some masterpieces. All are artwork what an outstanding job you have done. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
                    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                    John Wayne

Comment

Those receiving the boxes will be simply over joyed.

Comment

Thanx everyone!!! I find each time I make the same box it never turns out the same...ya know what I mean!?!

I am trying to streamline some of the steps, but then I find that my initial way of making it makes more sense than the 'shortcut'...for me anyway. Then the personalities of the wood have a mind of their own. I luv the shell box (one of my best sellers), but using Auromatic Cedar makes the sanding/detailing so fragile causing chip-outs...I just explain to the customer that's what makes them handmade - lol!

I have another 10+ designs I want to try out with the new mean green machine...I promise to share picts of them when done, including the failures.

Wishing everyone a very blessed Christmas and Happy New Year - HEAUX, HEAUX, HEAUX!
                        ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Beautiful work Kim. I think the shell boxes are especially wonderful. How did you do your finish - If I my ask!?!
                          ichibob
                          aka - Bob, USAF Ret.
                          www.grandpaswoodshed.com

Comment

fantastic work as always Kim!
                            T
                            Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Lovely work! Very, very high quality.

Lou