Heart Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heart Box

Made a couple of heart boxes. Here is a picture of one (they are identical except for grain).

They are about 4" by 4", 1.5" tall. Wood used is purpleheart (what else) and maple.

Finished with tung oil and red flocking inside.
    Attached Files
    Ron

My sawdust gallery

Very nicely done Ron. Who ever gets one of those will really like them a lot. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

That is really nice Ron....great job
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Really lovely!
        DeWalt 788

Comment

Beautiful work, Ron! Excellant finish!

Paul
          www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Great stuff Ron, beautiful.
            Pat
            Woodworking is Therapy.... some of us need more therapy than others.

Comment

Sweeeeet job on those Ron............love the contrasting wood too.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Very nice Ron, for all the reasons already given, very nice work. I like the personal touch on the back there too.
                The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

Excellent job Ron. Do you mind telling me a little about how you make these ? How do you shape the sides ? Is the body of the box cut from one piece then the bottom and top from separate pieces with the bottom glued on ?

Bob

Comment

Thanks DW, Larry, Sally, Paul, Pat, WD.
                    Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Sunlion View Post
                      Very nice Ron, for all the reasons already given, very nice work. I like the personal touch on the back there too.
                      Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Bayward View Post
                        Excellent job Ron. Do you mind telling me a little about how you make these ? How do you shape the sides ? Is the body of the box cut from one piece then the bottom and top from separate pieces with the bottom glued on ?

Bob
                        Hi Bob, thanks.

The body is made from two heart shaped pieces from 1/2" purpleheart. I glued these together with the maple accent piece and spindle sanded the inside and outside.

Next I sanded a contour on the outside to give it a barrel look with a 1" belt sander. Lots of sanding... Then cut 1/4" purpleheart for the top and bottom and sanded to fit the new outside dimensions.

Not hard work, did I mention lots of sanding.

Thing I noticed on these and others I made is that the 1/4" and 1/2" purpleheart can be quite different in color. Different trees, different conditions. Would like it better if If I could resaw my own planks.
                        Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Ron, for years I was always looking for thinner woods...then I bought a "Woodslicer band saw blade. It really works great. You can find them at www.Highlandwoodworking.com So if you have and use a band saw you can make your own thin boards.
                          Hawaiilad
                          Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
                            Ron, for years I was always looking for thinner woods...then I bought a "Woodslicer band saw blade. It really works great. You can find them at www.Highlandwoodworking.com So if you have and use a band saw you can make your own thin boards.
                            Thanks for the blade info Larry. The Rikon 10" is on my long list. May need to move it to a short list.
                            Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

Make sure you get a riser for the bandsaw so you can resaw wider boards. Hubby can resaw up to 12 inch wide board.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X