10 inch Cedar Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 inch Cedar Bowl

10 inch Cedar Bowl. Cut from 3/4 cedar purchased at Lowes. Finished with shellac.

DW
    Attached Files
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I luv how that one turned out and how you used the knots and all...the grain is spectacular! Did you have any issues sanding with such a soft wood vs the knots?
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

nice job DW, your bowl looks great...

Trout
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
      Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

That bowl took on a life of it's own DW......fantastic grain pattern. Looks great all around.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Originally posted by lkbraa View Post
          WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I luv how that one turned out and how you used the knots and all...the grain is spectacular! Did you have any issues sanding with such a soft wood vs the knots?
          Kim the main thing is to make sure that the knots are tight.. if they are loose you might wish to epoxy or otherwise glue them so that they are tight. It does take a bit of hand sanding to keep things even. Thanks for the complements.

DW
          John Wayne

Comment

That is beautiful DW. I love cedar.
            Linda

Comment

Thanx DW for the reply! That is what I was wondering....as I have done some projects with knots and they dropped out like a cannon ball!!! And duh....I do not know why I did not think about epoxy...blonde moment - lol! Too late now...they became some great designer firewood. Is there any cautions about sanding something with epoxy on it...does it heat up like other glues. Do you have a preference on brand of epoxy? Oh, and one more question (for now - tee hee) how does expoxy take finish like shellac or lacquer? OK, I think I am done with the questions this round!
              Thanx for all your help and inspiration!!!
              ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Originally posted by lkbraa View Post
                Thanx DW for the reply! That is what I was wondering....as I have done some projects with knots and they dropped out like a cannon ball!!! And duh....I do not know why I did not think about epoxy...blonde moment - lol! Too late now...they became some great designer firewood. Is there any cautions about sanding something with epoxy on it...does it heat up like other glues. Do you have a preference on brand of epoxy? Oh, and one more question (for now - tee hee) how does expoxy take finish like shellac or lacquer? OK, I think I am done with the questions this round!
                Thanx for all your help and inspiration!!!
                I use the ordinary 5 min 2 part epoxy. I just mix a bit and apply it where needed. It sands just fine and it takes a finish just fine. Only real caution is sanding epoxy and cedar as well you should mask up to keep the dust out of your lungs.

DW
                John Wayne

Comment

Very nice Bowl DW...I like the design and the cedar looks rich. You are so correct about taking care of your lungs....that is one reason I had to stop working with Cedar...and it makes my hands break out...after using it for nearly 30 years??
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Excellent bowl DW. You did a great job.

Comment

The bowl looks like it's made from gold!!! BEAUTIFUL. Kim, when I need to glue some cracks together or knots, I just wood glue. I force as much as I can into the crack or knot, then clamp and let dry. Sand off the residue on the outside and I'm finished. I haven't had any problems yet. I usually have to do gluing when I use Box elder as I try to get the pieces full of knots and stuff as it gives it character. Plus, I can charge more!!! LOL
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanx DW & Betty...ya gotta luv all the great info and people on this forum!!!!
                        ~ Kim

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Beautiful bowl DW. Where can I get the pattern?
                          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkie View Post
                            Beautiful bowl DW. Where can I get the pattern?
                            Thanks.
                            The pattern was designed by me and was hand drawn on the bowl blank.
                            I do not have that one drawn up in a file.

DW
                            John Wayne

Comment

Great Job, DW.
                              Terry
                              Got Moose?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X