Nice try Hapone. It had to be tried...now we all know

Leave a comment:

• harpone
    replied
    Thanks for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• fireglass
    replied
    Harpone, Nice try on the duck basket. When you drill the part of the duck I would use a dril the size of the screw. When drilling the basket I would use a small pilot hole. As far as starting at the starting point with a new blade no you can start where you left off. Lance

Leave a comment:

• harpone
    started a topic Follow-up: Plywood Collapsible Baskets

Follow-up: Plywood Collapsible Baskets

The responses to my question earlier this month encouraged me to cut one of the Longabaughs' patterns. I knew it would be a learning experience and wasn't concerned if the end result was not a keeper. I installed a new FD Polar blade (#9 as recommended by the Longabaughs) and used a decent looking scrap of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. Using the highest speed on my Dewalt scrollsaw I easily sawed the outer and inner outlines. Everything was going great. About a third of the way through the spiral part of the pattern I realized the cutting rate had slowed and remembered reading what plywood glues do to the sharpness of scrollsaw blades. I should have stopped then and replaced the bade. I didn't but continued to cut the rest of the spiral. That was a mistake. The cutting accuracy for the rest of the spiral was definitely diminished, As it turned out the basket looked OK except there is disfiguring part of a ply that almost looks like cork. In assembly the screw I used split the foot: too small a pilot hole?
    I have some solid wood I will use for my next effort. One question: if replacing a blade in the middle of cutting the spirals would I have to go back to the starting point and bring it to the cutting point with the saw turned on?
    Poor quality picture attached.
    Attached Files

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
    Reply to Old,,,,but new here
    by Rolf
    Ennobee "I hope that when I'm in my mid seventies like you, I still have the guts to try a new hobby" You make that sound like that is old LOL.
    My Mom got deep into computers in her late 70's along with digital embroidery. I am in my early 70's and constantly looking for something...
    Today, 09:27 AM
  • Jimern
    Reply to Recommendations anyone?
    by Jimern
    Rolf, no I keep looking at them and thinking of doing it, but I am lucky my shop is sort of large enough for what I do, especially since I am drifting away from rebuilding Harley engines and repairing the bikes. I'm getting too old to be bent over that stuff anymore, even though I built the shop tables...
    Today, 09:13 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to My first decent furniture project - Welding and woodwork combined
    by NC Scroller
    Very nice Jim. If you ever get up my way again you will have to give me some pointers.
    Today, 09:12 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to Farmers market
    by NC Scroller
    I have made 15-20. Sold everyone. I did not add the design to the top and they looked just fine....
    Today, 09:00 AM
  • NC Scroller
    Reply to Delta Q3 fuse question
    by NC Scroller
    If you can't find out I would opt on the side of caution and get a regular fuse. Fuses of this type are pretty standard and you should be able to find them in your local hardware or auto parts stores....
    Today, 08:39 AM
Working...
X