Follow-up: Plywood Collapsible Baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up: Plywood Collapsible Baskets

The responses to my question earlier this month encouraged me to cut one of the Longabaughs' patterns. I knew it would be a learning experience and wasn't concerned if the end result was not a keeper. I installed a new FD Polar blade (#9 as recommended by the Longabaughs) and used a decent looking scrap of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood. Using the highest speed on my Dewalt scrollsaw I easily sawed the outer and inner outlines. Everything was going great. About a third of the way through the spiral part of the pattern I realized the cutting rate had slowed and remembered reading what plywood glues do to the sharpness of scrollsaw blades. I should have stopped then and replaced the bade. I didn't but continued to cut the rest of the spiral. That was a mistake. The cutting accuracy for the rest of the spiral was definitely diminished, As it turned out the basket looked OK except there is disfiguring part of a ply that almost looks like cork. In assembly the screw I used split the foot: too small a pilot hole?
    I have some solid wood I will use for my next effort. One question: if replacing a blade in the middle of cutting the spirals would I have to go back to the starting point and bring it to the cutting point with the saw turned on?
    Poor quality picture attached.
    Attached Files

Harpone, Nice try on the duck basket. When you drill the part of the duck I would use a dril the size of the screw. When drilling the basket I would use a small pilot hole. As far as starting at the starting point with a new blade no you can start where you left off. Lance

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Nice try Hapone. It had to be tried...now we all know
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• daveswoodworking
          Ornament Exchange
          by daveswoodworking
          I have the Ornament and Secret Santa Exchange up and ready for everyone that what’s to join this year you have until nov. to sign up this year thank you all that joins up this year
          Today, 08:12 PM
        • sawdustus
          Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
          by sawdustus
          Thanks for the info Denny. When I cut acrylic I always use a skip tooth blade at a slower speed. I just did not realize that the epoxy would cut the same way as acrylic so I followed the materials list in the article.
          George
          Today, 12:39 PM
        • sawdustus
          Reply to tooth fairy box
          by sawdustus
          OK folks, picture. I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here is one each of my version of the oak and cherry boxes. Note the axle peg holding the top in place but allowing it to move.
          George
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Today, 12:34 PM
        • sawdustus
          Reply to compoud cut autumn leaves
          by sawdustus
          OK folks, picture....I finally figured out how to upload a picture. Here are a few of the autumn leaves I cut against the beautiful blue sky we had this morning.
          George
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Today, 12:32 PM
        • will8989
          Reply to What do you make
          by will8989
          Now the work really begins. Total of 14! Guess I forgot about some I previously cut....
          Yesterday, 10:09 PM
        Working...
        X