Plywood Collapsible Baskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plywood Collapsible Baskets

I have quite a few pieces of plywood given to me by a finish carpenter during the construction of a house in the neighborhood. I want to make some collapsible baskets for the first time and would like to know if the (cabinet grade?) plywood I was given would be suitable. Comments?

From what I remember, cabinet grade is the best, isn't it? What have you got to lose by trying one. Let us know how it works out. The way I look at it, free is free and all profit if you sell it.
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Yes I would say it should turn out just fine. Depends on how thick it is of course. Cabinet grade most often means there should not be many voids or plugs in the wood, so the end grain should look pretty good. Look at the edges, and if you don't see allot of voids, go for it!!
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Cut one and see how it behaves. There are several grades that fall into the cabinet grade category as well as manufacturers. Here in the US some of the grades are real good while others have one good side and mostly decent filler layers and the back side which might have an odd football plug or two on it. The absolute worse thing that could happen is you find out that it has voids that you did not see. You should be just fine if you do not see any voids on the edges.

DW
        Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
        John Wayne

Comment

Be sure and post a picture if you do cut them we would like to see how it comes out....

Comment

Another idea for good plywood: it looks great when carved... here is a project I did. I scroll sawed 4 identical seahorses and glued them together, then rotary carved, sanded and finished it. The base is 3 layers of the same, carved with a rotary grinder disc, then sanded and finished. A 5/8" dowel joins the two (without glue so I can rotate it to show its good side and easier to transport).

BTW, my guess is that good plywood (no voids) would be fine for the collapsible baskets you asked about. With voids, no. My plywood had no voids, but if there was an occasional one, I'd fill with dust from the sanding and then saturate with same finish I was using... I'd expect shrinkage and do it another time or two.

Spence
            Last edited by SawTooth; 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
              by NC Scroller
              I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
              Today, 11:24 AM
            • NC Scroller
              Reply to Big week here
              by NC Scroller
              Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
              Today, 11:18 AM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by jim_mex
              Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
              Today, 09:17 AM
            • jim_mex
              Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
              by jim_mex
              Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
              Today, 08:42 AM
            • Rolf
              Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
              by Rolf
              WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
              Today, 08:20 AM
            Working...
            X