X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hawaiilad
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Aug 2008

A few new bandsaw boxes

Here are a few new boxes I have made....they are setting in a local shop for sale right now. The Tree box has holes in the back to push open the drawers...didn't want to mess up the look of the tree.

The first box was made from Mango with a Koa front, the second is Mango with Koa with a strip of redwood and Koa pulls (sorry, the picture of this box should be standing up, not on the side), the third is white oak with Koa drawer fronts. I also included a pic. of the back of the tree box.

Not sure if I have posted the last one or not, but it was cut from Mango burl...had a heck of a time getting it to this point.

I ran out of bandsaw blades so while I wait I have glued up lots of new blanks all ready to cut. I am really happy that a couple of the high end stores here are interested enough in putting them on display, and they have been selling. I do not discount them to the stores and I am really amazed at the prices they are receiving for them.
    Attached Files
    Hawaiilad
    Larry
  • lkbraa
    • Jan 2010

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!! Another outstanding batch of boxes!!! Congrats on the sales and getting your foot in the door at the high end shops...make sure you sign your pieces!!! I put my sig inside one of the drawer backs to not distract from the overall look of the box.

I am so envious of your woods available!!! I even got online and looked at ordering some and about fell over on the price, I guess I will just stick to the ones around here.

I luv the tree design...is that one of your own designs? I like the finger holes in the back too. Did ya get a chance to try out the seashell patter I sent ya? I think with some strategically placed kerf lines it could be cut on the bandsaw too.

Great job once again...can't wait to see whatcha come up with next.
    ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

• wood-n-things
      Grandpa making Sawdust
      • Nov 2005

Very well done indeed. Share what prices they are commanding on the islands..
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

• handibunny
        Carole
        • Aug 2006

Hey, you're getting really, really good at this! And I do love the tree, especially!
        Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

• Wood Dog
          Sweeeeet
          • Jun 2007

How's your shoulder? Those are totally sweeeeet. Congrats on your sales.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

• Hawaiilad
            • Aug 2008

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Kim, I have started on the shell box...in fact I have the drawers cut out and noticed the blade was having a very hard time cutting...to dull. Then I noticed I out of new blades...so it is setting in the shop waiting for new blades to arrive in the mail. I started cutting the drawers out before I looked real good, and almost messed a nice piece of Koa.

It's true, Koa is very costly even here. I can not afford prices of $25 a board foot for it, so I run an add on craigs list once a month asking for anyone that has wood they wish to sell at lower prices. Most of what I get is in pretty bad shape and takes along time to get it to a workable condition, but Koa is what allot of people ask for. Mango and Monkey Pod isn't as hard to obtain, and I have a friend that is always needing some Norfolk Pine and Ironwood trees cut down.

As for pricing, I charge the stores $50 for the one drawer boxes and up to $200 (the tree box)...and they had their pricing on top of that. We were selling at a local Farmers Market, but they have needed to move and it is not in a good location that people driving by can see...so I am waiting for them to move back..until then I keep trying to sell to stores.

The tree box is not my design...well not all of it. I for something like it on like and changed it is several ways.

WD, the shoulder is not good at all. I see the next Dr. on Thursday and I know they will send me in for an operation. I will just hate the down time from the shop. I work for a couple hours in the shop and then set with a heat pad on it for a while.
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

• DWSudekum
              • Dec 2007

Excellent work on those Larry. Sorry to hear about your shoulder not doing well. One of these days I will get a supply of wood native to the Islands and see what I can make form them. Love those boxes Larry. Keep em coming.

DW
              Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
              John Wayne

Comment

• susieq4131
                Member - Level 2
                • Mar 2010

Larry,

Those look great! Way to go on getting your items into that high traffic shop. Way to go!

SQ
                If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

• Ron Standley
                  Member - Level 2
                  • Apr 2011

Those look great Larry. I really like the last one.
                  Ron

My sawdust gallery

Comment

• stephenD
                    sarcastic old geezer
                    • Aug 2010

Good job Larry.
                    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                    Desert Woodcrafters
                    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

• Hawaiilad
                      • Aug 2008

Thanks again. Glad you like the boxes. Just got my new blades today and have 7 more glued up ready to be cut. Guess I better get to them now in case I have surgery on the shoulder soon....boy I sure am going to hate that. Guess this old man should stop acting like I am 25 again, doing all that heavy lifting.
                      Hawaiilad
                      Larry

Comment

• frieke
                        Sweet and dusty
                        • Aug 2009

Wow Larry, those boxes are very niceeeeeeeeee...
                        Hope they can fix your shoulder so you'll be out of pain soon!
                        Frieke
                        www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

• Hawaiilad
                          • Aug 2008

The Dr. will no doubt wonder what I have been doing...not only is my shoulder toast, but I have done something to my right knee as well???? Not sure what, but it sure hurts. I am looking for that one pill that takes care of everything...anyone know where I can get it?
                          Hawaiilad
                          Larry

Comment

• tdub4ever
                            Tdub "The End Of An Era"
                            • Sep 2010

Marvatious! They are just gorgeous Larry! Outstanding work! Don
                            Don

Comment

• lkbraa
                              • Jan 2010

Sorry Larry I don't have that magic pill for ya...I get high off just a tylenol - lol! Sorry to hear of your shoulder...and now your knee. Try acting 35 and maybe the body won't complain too much...oh wait..that doesn't work either!

Good luck with the new blades and all the glue ups...that's a lot of sanding, but can't wait to see more awesome boxes!
                              ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...