Mini Birdhouse question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Birdhouse question...

Those fellow addicts. I call upon you for your input into a small dilemma.

While trying to spray adhesive onto my cut out birds I find while spraying the first the rest seem to be blown away. How do you get around this conundrum?

I have 30 birds to affix to wood. Thanks for any insight..
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

I had that problem also. I started using the same small ( about 12" X 16" ) piece of Masonite every time to spray the pattern backs. The Masonite catches the overspray which remains a little tacky even a couple of weeks later. That tack holds the patterns in place but allows the sprayed pattern to be easily picked up with my fingers.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, that is what I have been doing as well but was hoping someone else had another solution. This way the front is still tacky and some sawdust seems to adhere muddling the cut lines forcing me to use clear tape prior to cutting. I'm thinking of going to the store and get some straight pins and pin the little suckers in place...LOL.
      "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Mike here's a tip: Start with a long blank. cut the bird patterns in a strip of two or three. Then you have a longer piece that will not fly away when you spray. Then apply the strip to your blank. Then go to the table saw and cut the single blanks apart. Here's another tip: Drill an 1/8" hole centered on the line at the bottom of the bird. When it gets cut out there will be a notch that will fit nicely on the perch.
        BTW, I do use clear packing on all sides of the birdhouse and bird patterns.
        Last edited by dgman; 10-28-2011, 07:09 PM.
        Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Why don't you just spray a bunch not cut apart before pasting on your wood?
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Because I have a toothache and I'm not thinking ahead right now. I sat down to relax and decided it was a good time to cut out the birdies. Then it dawned on me.

Owwwwweeeeee My toofie really hurts and dentist is out of town until Tuesday.
            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Poor Mike! Hope you feel better soon. Head for the pharmacy and look for Dent-Temp. You can put it in the bad toofie. Should help.

I can't help you with the other birdie problem because I don't use spray adhesive. I use a Kyron machine. Puts a sticky back on paper which is very easy to handle. Comes off the wood easily too.

Jan

Comment

you might to use a glue stick works for me

Comment

Hey Mike,

I generally do the same thing Dan suggested, however for those times when I just have one small piece to spray, I use a stiff piece of wire to hold it down with one hand, while spraying with the other. I do not attempt to chew gum at the same time.
                  Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Mike,
                    I know nothing of bird houses...
                    But if you see your dentist, make the appointment for 2:30...tooth hurty....
                    Sorry I couldn't let it go...lol.
                    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                    No task is too tedious for Art.
                    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Got a good pair of plyers in the shop? ........too much Halloween candy?
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thank you everyone. Especially for the sympathy....NOT! LOL Some good tips and I assure you I won't cut out all the little birdies individually again.
                        "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
                          Thank you everyone. Especially for the sympathy....NOT! LOL Some good tips and I assure you I won't cut out all the little birdies individually again.
                          Now now you are taking all the fun out of it, be nice to the little birdies. LOL

Comment

:+) Okay I'll play nice.
                            "Still Montana Mike"

Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                              Reply to New tools
                              by Quartz43
                              I have an implanted spinal cord stimulator to help with back pain. They also have warnings about welding. I could not get one when I was working in an electric furnace steelmaking shop as the electrodes were over 1000 amps and volts. I have also decided to stay away from welding as I just do not...
                              Today, 03:40 PM
                            • hotshot
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by hotshot
                              You did a great job on that video. You speak and explain well!...
                              Today, 02:27 PM
                            • RJweb
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by RJweb
                              I am glad it is all working out for you, RJ...
                              Today, 01:31 PM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Shrink wrap systems
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                              Today, 11:51 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Sundays market
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                              Today, 11:39 AM
                            Working...
                            X