Playing with pivots and magnets--a new box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with pivots and magnets--a new box

The lid for this pivot-lid box is based on a Vietnamese temple window design. The actual window has a swastika incorporated into the design. Although that symbol predates Nazism, I couldn't see leaving it in, and removed it by taking the half that did not include it, flipping that image, and creating a new whole.

The main wood is cherry, the design cut from bloodwood and backed by yellowheart veneer, and the small decorative circles are cut from 1/4" walnut dowel. The pivoting lid is secured with a small rare earth magnet. I have a chapter on pivot lid boxes in the new book that are constructed similarly, but with a design the does not need magnets (better for children).

Great way to use up small pieces of wood, and a quick and fun project.
    Attached Files
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

With the decorative dowel pieces it looks somewhat like an ancient game board. Nicely done and kudos on your decision to remove the swastika.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Sweeeeet cut Carole, and I like what you did to the pattern......sans swastika.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Excellent job Carole. I like your changes in design and the wood choices. I am really looking forward to your book.

Anyway I really like the design and wonder if it could not be adapted to make some form of lock. One were you move the dowels into a certain position to get the lid to open Now that would be a tricky build I bet.

DW
        Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
        John Wayne

Comment

Very nice Carole....!!!!
          Elegant, yet not austentacious, (sp?)....
          I really like the magnet catch.....!!!

I can't wait for the new book....!!!!!
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Very nice looking Carole!

Bob
            Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words! I'm having fun. It's nice to be able to follow an idea through, without being concerned about whether it will work.

Did feel guilty about not using inlay, however. . .
              Carole

Comment

Carole, does your brain ever shut off? You seem to be going at warp speed most of the time. Sure hope you're taking time to enjoy that new grandbaby.
                Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Glad to see you're feeling well enough to post, Betty. That sounded like one scary accident you were lucky to walk away from. Hope this is the end of your run of bad luck!

Actually, I've slowed down quite a bit. When I was doing the box book, I was cranking out 2 complete projects a week (patterns, instructions, photos) and really going non-stop. Now I'll put in a few hours, at a time, but if I'm on my feet too long, my body protests in very unpleasant ways. If I tried to work at Kim's pace, I'd end up comatose! So I go one project at a time, and sometimes even skip a day--but not too often. So many things yet to try!

And thanks for asking about my granddaughter--we saw her about 2 weeks ago--she's a real sweetheart. We'll be having the whole blended family over after Thanksgiving, which should be a real treat. And whenever the kids come over, they all leave with something that I've made, which is the best thing I can think of to do with my stuff.
                  Carole

Comment

I'm recuperating. My chest hurts alot. Ever try to zip your jeans after being slammed by an airbag, a seatbelt slamming you back into the seat and the lower air bags slamming into your shins? Or get up when you are bent at the knees looking on the shelf for something and no one around to lift you? Your chest muscles are used for more than breathing, I can tell you that!!! LOL My hands hurt alot from the steering wheel so I don't expect to be cutting much anytime soon. Plus my left hand is still recuperating from the table saw. But at least I walked away, or rather limped away. And have all fingers and thumbs. What else could a girl want?
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Carole,

Great job. I really like the bloodwood and yellowheart, top. I agree the top looks like a boardgame. I can't wait for your new book. I'm definitely getting it. I just may be telling everyone that they won't get their Christmas cutting until after February!

Charles
                      Charles

Comment

Great looking box Carole. I really like the look of bloodwood and yellowheart. I wish I I did'nt react to yellowheart the way I do. I'm really looking forward to getting your book. It would be helpful if you would recommend it for all of us. Then we would be able to say it was Doctor recommended.
                        sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                        To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                        Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

I too am looking forward to the new book and I love Dan's "Doctor recommended"!
                          DeWalt 788

Comment

Betty, I'm glad that at least your fingers are working well enough so you can still be part of our forum "family". That's small consolation, but it sounds like you can look forward to the day when all your parts will be working the way they should.

And thanks Charles, Dan and Sally for your vote of confidence for the new book. I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.

I'll pass Dan's comment on about "Doctor recommended" to Fox Chapel's publicity person. Even though a Ph.D. in clinical psychology is a bit of a reach to establish credibility as a woodworker, she's very creative and just might come up with some kind of clever connection. You never know!
                            Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X