Gift Box with Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Box with Bow

Cut from 1 1/2 inch cedar, the ribbon is BB. The box is 3 inches x 3 1/2 inches x 1 1/2 inches.
    Finished with lacquer.

DW
    Attached Files
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Just awesome DW! Don
    Don

Comment

Very nice. I like the BB ribbon a lot.
      DeWalt 788

Comment

I also like the ribbon. Nice looking box
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Beautiful box!! I love ceder.
          Here is an idea for your bow you may like. Cut several of your loops and sand a bevel on the bottom of both sides and glue them together in an arc. You can double cut the loops and use the extra pieces as fillers.
          My thanks to Steve Good for the inspiration.
          Attached Files
          May the wind at you back .....
          Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

The box is beautiful DW.

Comment

Very nice idea Oily. I grabbed a copy of the patterns, thanks.

DW
              John Wayne

Comment

DW, great job on the box and ribbons are great! Did you create this using mitered corners or did you use the ring method?

I have tried mitered joints but I stink at it! I have checked and checked and re-checked my saw (compound miter) and for some reason I cannot get a straight/square on anything...I think it's the operator - lol!
                ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Originally posted by lkbraa View Post
                  DW, great job on the box and ribbons are great! Did you create this using mitered corners or did you use the ring method?

I have tried mitered joints but I stink at it! I have checked and checked and re-checked my saw (compound miter) and for some reason I cannot get a straight/square on anything...I think it's the operator - lol!

No I cut it out as rings. One I think for this small of a box it is much easier and two it is seamless so it looks better for a gift box for something like jewelry. I guess you could do mitered corners but without a sander to get perfect 45's it would be way to difficult
                  John Wayne

Comment

Nice job, DW. The plywood gives an interesting effect for the loops and ribbons, and whoever is the lucky recipient will love it. I agree that using miters for a box that small, without a sander to neaten things up, is only looking for trouble. I always use my belt sander, vertical, with the table tilted, to get usable miters.

Kim, if you have the bowl book, look at the construction of the lid for the ginger jar. That shows, in miniature, how to construct boxes where the lid becomes the sides of the box. All you have to do is add a base, and there you are!
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanx DW & Carole! The only way I make boxes is the ring method, but in the photo it looked as if the grain was consistent giving the appearance as a solid piece of wood! Grain match up is spot on!!!

I am currently working on a box that uses birch plywood as the lid (cut to see the laminates)...so far I have been lucky to have no voids...keeping my fingers crossed that the rest of the cutting goes as well!

Ya Carole, I broke down and bought your bowl book (usually check them out from the library) as I knew that it would be an excellant guide even tho I have not attempted any bowls. I have been working on some new designs to where the lid creates the sides instead of my typical fitted lid...post picts if any of them turn out <fingers crossed>.
                      Thanx again!!!
                      ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by will8989
                        None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                        Today, 12:20 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                        The bags seem easier on the surface.
                        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                        Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                      Working...
                      X