Boxes for Benefit/Violin and Bible Boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxes for Benefit/Violin and Bible Boxes

I love a "mission"!! When I read a Facebook post about a silent auction at a local church on behalf of 2 ladies diagnosed with cancer I knew what I wanted to do!! First I wanted to make Diana Thompson's Bible box.

October 19, 2011 026.jpg

October 19, 2011 031.jpg

Made from reclaimed Mahogany with an Aspen bookmark. I have made this several times and it has always been well received.

Then I had my eye on the Violin box in the Fall 2011 issue of Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts magazine. I was inspired by Wood Dog's version and I enlisted her help with this!!

October 19, 2011 013.jpg

October 19, 2011 021.jpg

October 19, 2011 014.jpg

Made from Cherry and Ebony. This was not an easy task!! I couldn't have done it without Wood Dog's help!! Thanks for looking!!
    Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Both are really nice projects!
    DeWalt 788

Comment

Wow......Very impressive...!!!!!!
      And beautiful thing to do....!!!!!!!
      ...And good for you too WD....!!!!

Did you actually carve the ebony????
      Wow...
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Excellent Projects Cathy! You did a great job on them. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
        Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
        John Wayne

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments!!

Jim, The ebony.... wow that stuff is as hard as a rock!!! I used every sanding tool I own!! Had the best luck with a dremel high speed cutter bit and a small dremel sanding drum. I think I worked on it for about 2 hours. It's not shaped the greatest but I just had to make myself stop!!
          Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

Beautiful boxes and a worthy cause! Don
            Don

Comment

Beautiful boxes, Cathy. The violin is really a knockout! And with really ebony, too.

Hope they are appreciated and bring the prices they deserve.
              Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Beautiful work on both boxes!
                T
                Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Cathy, Both are just fabulous. Very thoughtful of you to donate these beautiful works for such a worthy cause. I am sorry to hear of the sad news also. Thanks for sharing. Steve
                  If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                  My Gallery
                  [email protected]

Comment

The Bible Box is gorgeous. Great job.

Comment

Wow Cathy both projects came out super sweeeet, and I hope the silent auction goes well for your donation. Bless you for being someone who cares for others as you do.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Cathy those are gorgeous and very generous and thoughtful for you to donate them to a worthy cause! My thoughts and prayers are with the two ladies.

How did you get lucky enough to find some ebony - I have been trying to find a chunk I can afford - lol! But after hearing of the hardness, perhaps I will just stick to ebonizing some black walnut.

Keep up the great work!
                        ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Very impressive. Congrats on a job well done and also for your generosity.
                          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Gorgeous!!!!
                            -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
                            Jim
                            DW788
                            My scrollin' blog

The worst day scrollin' is better than the best day o' workin'

Comment

Thanks so much for the nice comments. It is really a confidence builder!!

Kim, I found the ebony in Omaha. I had been looking for some for quite awhile to use in my intarsia. They sold it by the pound. I bought a little piece about 12 inches long x 2 inches wide and maybe 1/2 inch thick. Can't remember for sure what I paid for it, but I don't waste any of it.

Thanks again!!
                              Cathy in NE

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                                I like the fact...
                                Today, 08:34 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Way to go, Betty. Our farmers market does not allow craft sales.
                                Today, 08:17 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by Rolf
                                Good for you! Who designed the small nativity?
                                Today, 08:10 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Supermax
                                by NC Scroller
                                Two great customer service stories on this forum in a week. There is hope. Even in 2020.
                                Today, 08:00 AM
                              Working...
                              X