X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susieq4131
    replied
    Originally posted by Wood Dog View Post
    Yes SQ just pull it out and replace. Sweeeet.
    Awesome!

SQ

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by susieq4131
    Is it possible to change the ink cartridge when empty?
    Yes SQ just pull it out and replace. Sweeeet.

Leave a comment:

• sqrlalrt
    replied
    Cute! My mom would love the birdhouse pens.....I better get busy! LOL. Tammy

Leave a comment:

• jowshu98
    replied
    Thanks WD! The picture says it all. Ingenious!

Thanks again,

Leave a comment:

• susieq4131
    replied
    Originally posted by Wood Dog View Post
    Previously I posted some pens made using drill press, scroll saw, and sanders.
    You can view my method at post # 11 here http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/gen...-saw/40425.htm
    I also made these with this method.
    [ATTACH]45567[/ATTACH]

My little birdhouse pens were made with the scroll saw to cut out the houses, then turned on my lathe. Except for one pen, no glue was used on these. Pens have Bic pen ink refills, el cheapo. I purchased them for 97 cents, 10 in a pack at Walmart.
    What a fun project, sure would love to see others making some, with or without a lathe.
    [ATTACH]45568[/ATTACH]

Those birdhouse pens are ingenious! Is it possible to change the ink cartridge when empty?

SQ

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by jowshu98
    I'm still new to the lathe and trying to figure out how you're mounting these to the lathe after you've cut the birdhouse.
    @ Don......I put the birdhouse pattern on blank first, then drilled hole, being careful not to go into the birdhouse. Cut out the birdhouse on the scroll saw (compound cut), chucked it up on the lathe, birdhouse as far as it would go in chuck, brought the tail-stock up to the drilled hole, and turned.
    For the reverse part I held the turned wood in a piece of plastic tubing and tightened the chuck onto that, it doesn't leave any marks in the wood that way.
    Guess a photo is worth more than a thousand words:
    birdhouse on lathe 440 x 280.jpg

KTownScroller nice to see you posting.....where ya been?
    Hey how about a cute little bowling ball on top of pen instead of birdhouse.....
    BTW....Diana Thompson made the birdhouse patterns I used.

Leave a comment:

• mtnman
    replied
    Awesome, WD. Love the idea. I can't imagine just how many I could make with all the scraps I have laying around. I was in a local woodworkers shop today and saw the pen kits and had to smile knowing that you use the guts from a BIC instead of the expensive guts they sell.

Leave a comment:

• KtownScroller
    replied
    That's quite a cleaver idea Wood Dog. I'll bet if you were to sell them they would go like hot cakes! I might have to give your design a try. BTW - Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• jowshu98
    replied
    I'm still new to the lathe and trying to figure out how you're mounting these to the lathe after you've cut the birdhouse.

Leave a comment:

• Janette
    replied
    Those are way cool! Love them.

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Originally posted by fireglass
    If I wanted to do a pen with a skill on it. How wide can the skill be before it's turned down
    Lance, I assume you meant to type skull, if not then I don't know what a skill is. I guess you could make it as wide as you want. I usually start my blanks out at 3/4 X 3/4 X 6, but its not written in stone. Its only a cheap pen so it really doesn't matter. With the birdhouse pens once cut and you turn the blank you are not touching the birdhouse, you can make the rest of the pen as fat or skinny as you want. Same goes if once you cut the birdhouse on scrollsaw and cut the body of pen on scroll saw and finish with sanders. The birdhouse can cantilever over the pen if you want. Might look pretty cool.
    Please post a picture when you make your pen, would love to see what you come up with.

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    COOL, great ideas

Leave a comment:

• Sally
    replied
    Those are wonderful WD. I want to give the birdhouses a try - maybe the pens too.

Leave a comment:

• fireglass
    replied
    Wood Dog, really nice and for less then a buck, Good job.
    If I wanted to do a pen with a skill on it. How wide can the skill be before it's turned down,
    Lance

Leave a comment:

• scrolling_grandma
    replied
    Wow, I am impressed. Those are pretty cool! great work

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X