Small Cherry Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Cherry Bowl

Hello! I am excited to have completed my first little bowl! I would like to thank everyone for all of the good advice I have been reading on this forum. It opened my eyes to so many tips and ideas. Angles were my enemy on the first 2 attempts at bowl making on a scroll saw. This little cherry bowl stands only 2" tall but has me wanting to try more! Its finished with mineral oil only at this point. Thanks for looking! Tammy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sqrlalrt; 09-29-2011, 02:45 PM.
    Tammy

Very Nicely done Tammy. Cherry can be a difficult wood to work because it can burn easily. Thanks for sharing it with us. Now that you are hooked looking forward to seeing more of your work.

DW
    Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
    John Wayne

Comment

Nice job, Tammy, and cherry is definitely a tough wood to work with. Hope this is the first of many.

And if you have any problems computing angles, etc., you know where to come for help.
      Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Very nice looking bowl Tammy....I like working with Cherry...did you have much burning of the wood when cutting?
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Sweeeeet bowl Tammy, and I especially like the fact that it is 2" tall.....I like small things.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I did not have any problems with the cherry wood..:.beginners luck??
            Tammy

Comment

I also had trouble with angles, so I did a bit of research and made myself this using a free to use and copy tan table

So all I have to do now is remember where I put the print out
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DaveP; 09-30-2011, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the info!
                Tammy

Comment

Tammy, Dave, and anyone else new to bowl-making, to make it even easier, go to Dave Van Ess' site, scrollmania.com, and use his angle calculator.

In addition to rounding up to the larger angle, if you are using a 1/4" thick ring, which gives less leeway for cutting errors, you can add on an extra degree to your cutting angle. Excess wood on the outside of your bowl can easily be sanded away, but if your ring comes out too narrow, you may not have enough wood for gluing up.

You might find it helpful to check out the bowl-making videos that can be accessed on this site from the side bar, and from my blog.

Looking forward to seeing more nice bowls!
                  Carole

Comment

Nice project and thanks for the angle info.
                    God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Great job, and thanks for your post - the lightbulb went off in my head when I saw that you started out with a really small bowl. I've been wanting to try to make a bowl, but was envisioning something a great deal larger and just wasn't up to trying something that big and potentially ruining that much wood. I am DEFINITELY going to try a small one, and thanks to all with the tips about the angles and sanding etc.

Comment

Patte, with only one exception, every bowl in my book was cut from a piece of wood no larger than 8" x 8". That's one of the beauties of this approach--even if the project is a complete disaster, the wood loss is minimal. Some folks have taken to making larger bowls, but that's not typical, given the relatively small size of the saw table.

For starters, try a 2-ring bowl. That's deep enough to look like a bowl, not a tray, and small enough to be quite manageable. Looking forward to seeing your work!
                        Carole

Comment

Thanks for the info Carole. I did infact use the angle clac on the scroll mania site. And to get my old delta and little drill press lined up to the right angle I downloaded a digital level app on my droid phone. Works like a charm!!

Go for it Patte! Its fun!

Tammy
                          Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by sqrlalrt View Post
                            Hello! I am excited to have completed my first little bowl! I would like to thank everyone for all of the good advice I have been reading on this forum. It opened my eyes to so many tips and ideas. Angles were my enemy on the first 2 attempts at bowl making on a scroll saw. This little cherry bowl stands only 2" tall but has me wanting to try more! Its finished with mineral oil only at this point. Thanks for looking! Tammy
                            Tammy,

It's only 2 inches tall? I personally think the smaller the bowl, the more challenging they are. Great job!

SQ
                            Last edited by susieq4131; 10-01-2011, 10:46 PM.
                            If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim Finn
                              Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                              by Jim Finn
                              The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                              Today, 04:48 PM
                            • MidMich324
                              Reply to Plastic puzzle
                              by MidMich324
                              Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                              Today, 03:57 PM
                            • RJweb
                              Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                              by RJweb
                              As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                              Today, 03:42 PM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Farmers market "survey"
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                              I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                              For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                              Today, 11:14 AM
                            • Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Farmers market
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                              Today, 11:00 AM
                            Working...
                            X