Two scrolled bowls finished on the lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two scrolled bowls finished on the lathe

Here are two new 10 inch diameter bowls made from maple. Cut out the rings, glued them together, and finished them on the lathe. Second bowl, I made up two bowls the exact size, and swapped the rings around.

Finish is USP grade mineral oil and beeswax.

SQ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by susieq4131; 09-24-2011, 11:49 AM.
    If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Beautiful work, as always, SQ!
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Very very nicely done SQ! I like them a lot. Thanks for sharing them with us.

DW
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Very nicely done! God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Beautiful job.
          Linda

Comment

Very nice SQ....I have been reading of others that are doing the sanding on the lathe. Not having a lathe around, I will have to stick to the original way.
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

Beautiful workmanship.
              DeWalt 788

Comment

Originally posted by handibunny View Post
                Beautiful work, as always, SQ!

Carole, thanks for the very kind words. I love making these scrolled bowls, and it's all your fault.

SQ
                Last edited by susieq4131; 09-24-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
                  Very nice SQ....I have been reading of others that are doing the sanding on the lathe. Not having a lathe around, I will have to stick to the original way.
                  Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

Larry, I first smooth the bowl out with the different turning tools and then once it's as smooth as I can get it, I sand it while still on the lathe. Nothing wrong with sanding the original way. It works equally well.

SQ
                  Last edited by susieq4131; 09-24-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Do you find it takes less time to round out the bowls using the lathe? Once again another reason I should have held onto the lathe I had..
                    Hawaiilad
                    Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
                      Do you find it takes less time to round out the bowls using the lathe? Once again another reason I should have held onto the lathe I had..
                      It has saved me lots of time. I am still scrolling the bowls like I learned from Carole's book and gluing up the rings. I start on the outside of the bowl and clean up the layers then move into the interior of the bowl and do the same thing with the different turning tools. The basic shape is there, I'm just taking off all the rough edges. Then I sand it with a Grex 2 inch air sander. The resulting symmetry is what I was after and I'm very pleased with the results.

But don't jump into a lathe without instruction. How you hold the turning tools and where you place them on a turning vessel are rules one must follow to turn anything safely.

SQ

Comment

Very nice bowls Sussie.When you ,first, tell me about finishing on the lathe I was thinking at some considerable change on outside shape of the bowls .I think so this is possible if the rings are thicker in diameter.Why not ? some flower vases could be done this way ,with some PVC pipe ,or jarr,or cutted bottle inlay for water proofing.

Comment

Nice! I love the wood grain!
                          Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by susieq4131 View Post
                            Here are two new 10 inch diameter bowls SQ
                            The bowels look extremely well done. I like them !

For a 10" bowl are you using 10" wide boards for the largest ring ? Or are you edge gluing narrow boards to get the 10" width ?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by epson View Post
                              Very nice bowls Sussie.When you ,first, tell me about finishing on the lathe I was thinking at some considerable change on outside shape of the bowls .I think so this is possible if the rings are thicker in diameter.Why not ? some flower vases could be done this way ,with some PVC pipe ,or jarr,or cutted bottle inlay for water proofing.
                              Epson,

Thank you! It is so good to hear form you! Hope the family is doing well. Outside edge could be shaped in many different ways and I agree thicker rings would help make that possible.

SQ

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Rolf
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Rolf
                                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                                That is...
                                Today, 08:15 AM
                              • Jimern
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jimern
                                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                                Today, 06:29 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X