A few more boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few more boxes

Here is what I am spending more and more time making...I really like them, and it seems the customers do as well....I have them in a couple stores for the public to see and buy if they want.

The first one is is made from Monkey Pod. This is a very hard wood to work with, but as you can see, does finish up nicely. The second is Koa...a really fun wood to work with. The third is White Oak body with a Koa front. The last is Norfolk Pine. All the drawers have the spray on liner in them.

I still have to make 4 for our grown daughters for Christmas and 3 letter boxes for the Grandkids for Christmas...guess I best get busy. I have 4 others in the cutting stage right now. If I could only get some Walnut and other Mainland woods now.
    Attached Files
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Really nice job, Larry, on your choice of wood and your workmanship. Those styles are classic, and also work up well as minis for the scroll saw. Now just sit back and count the money as it comes rolling in . . .
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Carole...coming from you that means allot to me. Yes it would be nice to sell several of these...even if it goes back into buying wood...that way it keeps me busy. I am now drawing up some of my own designs...but for some reason the still all look alike.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

Those are super Larry. You one good scroller bra.
        Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
        Desert Woodcrafters
        Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

They look great! Are they done on the band saw? I tried making one once... may have to try again.
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Those are very very nicely done Larry. Wish I had the room for a larger band saw so that I could make things like those boxes. Your make some great looking pieces .. it is no wonder that they sell well.

DW
            Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
            John Wayne

Comment

Very, very "maika'i" there Larry! Don
              Don

Comment

Yes I did make them on the Bandsaw. I use a 14" Delta. I have the riser kit on it, but the thickest box I have made so far is about 6", so the riser has not come in to play.

DW, what size bandsaw do you own? I would think even a smaller 10" would be able to cut these. My longest is about 12" so far, but most are 11" or under long.

Sounds like some of you folks are up with the local slang from here in the Islands. Pidgen for ever...even if I can't understand it.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Larry, if you look at that style of band saw boxes, they are invariably variations of the same basic shapes. I found them wonderful to do at first, then I started to get bored--they all reminded me of lotuses or fish. I think that's mainly a limitation of that style, since you need the curved shapes for ease in sanding, and if you use the bandsaw you need a way for the blade to enter.

It will be interesting to see what you can do, using that basic technique, to make yours stand out from the rest. At any rate, even if they are "typical" they are still lovely, and they are brand new to anyone who has not seen them before.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Your choice of wood is awesome. I wish some of those species were available here for a reasonable price....The grass is always greener I suppose.
                    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Beautiful boxes! I also have a 14" Delta just waiting for me to use. I'd love to be able to create such lovely boxes like you did.

Comment

You are correct Carole. Most if not all of the designs in the two books I have are patterns for the sea...fish or waves. But like you say, since no other person I know of here is making them, they will be new to the public. Plus I noticed that customers here like to purchase "Island items"...and these do remind me at least of just that. I have been changing the designs in some ways, but making different designs will be interesting since I am not really into designing....perhaps some of the wonderful people here that seem to really like designing will step up and show us what they can do. "If you design it I will build it".....sorry, couldn't help myself..

Blue Fly, these are very easy to make....the cutting goes very fast. I do use a 3/4" wood slicer blade to cut off the back, but then change out to a 3/16" 10tpi for all the cutting. The cutting goes fast, the sanding takes the time because you do need to make it look rounded...you can do it
                        Last edited by Hawaiilad; 09-21-2011, 08:51 PM.
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

Where are y'all finding the patterns for these unique bandsaw boxes? I really really like them and y'all are doing an excellent job making and finishing them!

Phil J.

Comment

I cut this one from a left over 2x4 end cut.
                            I used my scroll saw.
                            My first attempt at this. I just glued a piece of Masonite to the back and smoothed it with the one inch sanding belt.
                            Attached Files
                            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                            Desert Woodcrafters
                            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

You got the right idea Stephen. Instead of using the hardboard on the back, try using 1/8" birch or oak plywood. Now you need to take a rasp and sander to the edges and round them out. That's a great looking box. While cutting a couple more of these today, I was thinking how I could do them on the scrollsaw. Your idea is one way and another would be to make them on the idea of the scrolled bowls, but do not tilt the table. Of course in this way, I would still cut the back off on the band saw.

Did you use the scrollsaw to cut the backs and fronts away from the drawers and glue them back on or do it a different way?
                              Hawaiilad
                              Larry

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Today, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Today, 06:38 PM
                              • Jim Finn
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by Jim Finn
                                The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                                Today, 04:48 PM
                              • MidMich324
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by MidMich324
                                Using Corel Draw a 10 inch round acrylic jigsaw puzzle was created. It was the cut on an Epilog Laser. Two passes were used to cut thru 1/4 acrylic so as not to melt the plastic. Only one person has put it together so far. It is about 475 pieces. But would really like to try and cut one by...
                                Today, 03:57 PM
                              • RJweb
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by RJweb
                                As far as the Incra miter gauge, if you keep it 1/4 inch away you will be fine, but you will have to adjust it when doing angle cuts, it’s a great miter gauge, RJ...
                                Today, 03:42 PM
                              Working...
                              X