Compound cut Birdhouses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound cut Birdhouses

I bought and printed out the Compound Birdhouse and I am wondering if you all have increased the size or did you cut them as printed..at least those of you that ordered them online. What I printed are almost 1 1/4" wide (each side) and 3 3/4" long. I didn't read anywhere about resizing them larger.

Yep, I guess I am joining the club also...in between bandsaw box making that is

Thanks
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

No expert but I made all mine 1 1/4" wide (each side) and 3 3/4" long. Recycled 2x4 stock works well. Just no pressure treated.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Same size for me as well.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks Mike and Scott...I thought they looked a bit small on the pattern. I might make some a bit larger as well.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Some folks are making them smaller and making earrings out of them.
          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Yea I saw the earrings and thought they were nice as well. I thought larger might be something different, but would have to be careful of what wood I used as they would be heavy for ornaments on a tree....but for people that like to display birdhouses in the house, they might be nice.....so many things to make. Making 5 bandsaw boxes, and 5 routered name signs for our kids Christmas gifts, and thought a couple ornaments or larger birdhouses would be nice as well. I cut 4 bandsaw boxes yesterday and spent all day sanding on them.. tonight my hands and one shoulder is so sore from holding, cutting and sanding....but I sure love doing this. We must love it to put our bodies through so much
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

By the way, the plans for the birdhouses I bought say to use a shop jig to hold the piece when cutting. Have you folks found you needed to use a jig or will tapeing it together work?
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

No shop jig unless I'm misunderstanding you. Just put a piece of scrap wood cut to match the length of the project piece on each side of the block and hold them in place with a couple of quick clamps. Start cutting at the bottom of the birdhouse and be sure to put the clamp on the bottom after you line up the cut so you put the blade between the block and the clamp. Hard to cut otherwise.
                :icon7

Jan

Comment

Thanks I think Jan. You and I are on the same page...the scrap and the clamps are what I was calling a jig...I might make a different type of jig for cutting so the clamps will not have to be used. But I am not sure what you mean when you say "make sure to put the clampon the bottom after you line up the cut so you put the blade between the block and the clamp". Perhaps when I start cutting some of these I will understand what you mean....thanks for the info.
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Larry, the whole purpose of the "jig" is to make the piece easier to handle and to avoid getting your fingers whapped while you're cutting. The quick-clamps are the easy way to accomplish holding the scraps in place and then changing them for the second cut. Whatever works for you is fine. The point of starting at the bottom is to make one continuous cut per side. As for placing the blade between the bottom of the piece and the clamp is because you can't make a cut if your blade is outside the clamp.

Jan

Comment

Jigs have a time and place in all wood working. Since I like the KISS principle I use this for my compound cuts. Notice the handles point in different directions which makes it easier to turn. In this example I have used just scraps of wood. When doing birdhouses I normally clamp three together. After cutting all three on one side I flip them and do all three on the other side.
                      Attached Files
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have made 18 of the original [magazine] pattern. And 10 pairs of earrings,
                        I use a small wooden clamp to hold everything together. I find that its easier & faster than scrap wood & clamps,

Joe flint hills

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Jan....I guess it was much to late last night when I was responding to your statement...I look back over it again and I'm pretty sure my face is red If I just start cutting these ornaments, I won't have to ask so many silly questions...
                          Hawaiilad
                          Larry

Comment

Joe, when you say small wooden clamp, are you talking about something you made or the two handeled woodend clamps?
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

wooden clamps

I use the 2 handled screw clamps, one is about 8-10 inches long ,the small one about 6 inches long.
                              Joe

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X