Hamsa hand box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamsa hand box

I found this description through Google: The Hamsa hand is a prominent Jewish motif that can be found almost everywhere: charms, door entrances, Jewish jewelry, blessings for home and much more. According to the tradition, the Hamsa hand protects the ones who display it in their homes or wear it around their necks. Many believers place the Hamsa hand in their homes and at their work place to ward off the "evil eye".

I've been trying to create Jewish-themed scroll saw projects that are not trite, or tied only to holidays. There is plenty of Hamsa jewelry, but I have not found a box in that shape. I tried out 2 versions, since it was a good excuse to do an inlay project. I'm thinking that I might combine the two boxes and use inlay with inlace for the eye.

And you would not believe the prices for wooden objects in Judaica stores! The menorah that was a inspiration for the one I posted goes for $130 online, and in stores. Seems high to me, but no one forces people to buy stuff.

I am definitely going to do more work with inlay (thanks, Jim and Jim)!
    Attached Files
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Well done Carole, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you.
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Very nice indeed!
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Beautiful Carole!
        DeWalt 788

Comment

They look great Carole! I do like the inlay, but like the inace for the eye too. So, I'm looking forward to seeing your third Hamsa box...
          T
          Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Great boxes Carole. I see I'm not the only person that loves trying different items and styles...thanks for sharing
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

Great looking boxes Carole...!!!
              I like the thin band of purpleheart on the lid of the inlaid box. The banding is quite nice on the inlace box as well, but of course I'm partial to the inlay...

I may have to go check out the Judaica stores near me...
              Thanks.
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Both versions have turned out real well, nice work
                Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Comment

Excellent work Carole. Isn't it amazing what folks will buy and for what? Thanks for sharing it with us.

DW
                  Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                  John Wayne

Comment

Thanks, everyone. It's fun going where "no man has gone before" (in a manner of speaking).

Jim, I found that gluing a thin piece of wood to the back side of the inlay gives a finished look, and covers up any unsightly spaces. I also found that using an awl to mark the point where you drill your hole keeps the bit from slipping around.

Expect to see more inlay from me--it's really a great technique. I'm also adding some intarsia to my projects--can't keep on doing the same stuff all the time!
                    Carole

Comment

Ooooo that's pretty cool looking Carole! I like the design.
                      -- Rick --

Comment

Carole, I can see this being a good seller at shows. I often have people asking for jewish themed items. I will definitely look into this in my "down time".
                        Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Those turned out great! Excellent job!

SQ
                          If you can't fix it with sawdust and glue, it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Betty, if there is enough interest in Jewish-themed objects, I may be able to get a small book published by Fox Chapel. So far, in addition to the hamsa boxes, I have a bread board that I cut as a segmentation to look like a challah (will try an intarsia version soon), a box that looks like a challah on a laminated board, and a large oval bowl (I posted it on the forum without the decoration) that has a shallow (1/4") intarsia challah on the bottom. I am working on a puzzle box with a Star of David theme, and another menorah design. I'm going to look into making a "charity box" (Tzedakah), and some jewelry-type boxes with words like "Shalom" and "Mazel Tov" inlaid on the lid.

And if I can't get a book out of this, I'll get what I can into SSW&C. Around the holiday time, Shannon is always on the lookout for Jewish-themed items. I took her to task one year when there was not a single Jewish-themed item in the holiday issue. I'm not religious, but it just didn't seem fair.

So I'm glad that someone has been asked for Jewish-themed items. If anyone one else has had that experience, please let me know. Thanks.
                            Carole

Comment

Are you kidding me? The Star of David Puzzle and Menorah are the first to sell off my table and am always asked "anything else?" I found the info on google and printed the one that I think you used for your pattern. Do you mind if I make my own version of it? Looks like the thumbs are actually birds. I also saw that pomergrante (sp?) are used for candle holders. I see a whole lot of items that would be good sellers! You listening, Shannon & Bob? PHEW! This was alot of typing with only 8 fingers. So at least reward me with one of Carole's patterns in the holiday issue.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X