Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A bird in the hand is worth..... a bunch!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fd_cox
    replied
    Dipping is the way to go. & the Bird houses are really cute.

Leave a comment:

• sawdustus
    replied
    They look great Cathy. I think they would sell like hotcakes for $10. I'm thinking of taking a table at a local festival day "Market Place" in July and if I do, some of those will definitely be on the table. Thanks for sharing all the information.

george

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    They look great Cathy I also think that Janette's pricing is on the money. I will have to make some for my Christmas fair. The only thing I will do is paint the hole flat black.
    Last edited by Rolf; 06-08-2011, 07:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• paul44224
    replied
    I just finished doing a few of them. I was thinking that they could also be cut using 3/4" wood, then drilled slightly in the back, and epoxy a magnet in the hole. And also, instead of hanging them, use a piece of dowel through the bottom for a plant pick.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Janette
    replied
    I've been selling them for $10 and people don't blink at that. I gave some to the gallery I sell some work at to see how they go. Since the gallery doubles the price - I don't think they'd go for $20 so I'm taking $7.50 and we'll try selling them for $15. Last batch I made 6 of them in 2 1/4 hrs so $10 is a pretty good return. Depending on which style - some go a lot quicker than others.

Leave a comment:

• Hobbyhorse
    replied
    That is a great display Cathy, and yes I would certainly dip them and probably in an oil.

Rhys

Leave a comment:

• Cutting Cathy
    replied
    Wood Dog, I do plan on adding the eye screw, I just don't have any yet.

Matt, Dog is right. You can get the patterns from either of those places.

I think I will start at $10.00 and see how it goes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Thanks again for the nice words. I'll post pictures when they are finished!

Leave a comment:

• Haggard3230
    replied
    Those are cool Cathy. I made some of those just in time for my last show and sold them for $5.00 each easy.

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Matt the pattern for birdhouses and birds are Diana Thompson's compound designs.
    Scroll Saw Patterns by Diana Thompson at Scroll Saw Inspirations
    Some can be found in Creative Woodworks & Craft magazine May 2011 issue.

Leave a comment:

• DWSudekum
    replied
    Great work Cathy. Dipping is the way to go for those.

DW

Leave a comment:

• m_r_dxn
    replied
    They look great! I'd like to cut some of these myself. Where is this pattern set from? I've cut a few small 3d birdhouses w/ perch before and painted them for cabinet door knobs. I just freehanded them though.

Leave a comment:

• WoodCarverOH
    replied
    I've made and sold about 24 and leave natural and have been getting $10 ea.
    Instead of using the cut out bird I go to Hobby Lobby in the miniature doll house area and get a package of birds (12) for $1.99. They are the right scale.

Leave a comment:

• KtownScroller
    replied
    Don't have any suggestions. Only want to say that the birdhouses came out exceptionally well. They are very cute items that will sell fast. Nice work Cathy!

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    I would not charge $5.00. My word if the material is $1.50 you say. & a little less than an hour per each item. That is $3.50 for your labor. You work cheap, way too cheap. That does not include wear and tear on your equipment and incidental costs like shop space and electric etc. I understand we rarely get out of a piece what we put into it monetarily unless we can stack cut em...<wink> You are only going to get what the local traffic will pay though. I'd still try $10.00 for them.

Leave a comment:

• Lou
    replied
    Cathy, those are fabulous! Great job! I've been making some of those myself lately but I don't tthink they look as good as yours! I'll post pics soon and you can judge that for yourself.

I finished mine with the same Old Masters Gel varnish that I use for intarsia, but after reading this thread, I kind of like the dipping idea. You get such great ideas from those who have gone before you! I'm also using the tiny eye bolts for hangers like I use on my bird ornaments.

I'm planning to sell them at my next show (and through my website) and was going to start out at $10 each and see how it goes.

Be sure and post a pic with the finish on. They look great now, but they'll look even better then.

Lou

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X