Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • surrealdreams
    • Sep 2022

Originally posted by bstark

What a simple solution. Does it peel off well?
    I've tried label paper as well. It peels off reasonably well, although different brands will probably perform differently. When it doesn't come off easily, I have a little heat gun that makes release quickly. When I have used 3M spray adhesive and left it on for too long, a hair dryer or heat gun works great too.

Comment

• bstark
      Member - Level 2
      Registered User - Level 2
      • May 2012

Originally posted by surrealdreams

I've tried label paper as well. It peels off reasonably well, although different brands will probably perform differently. When it doesn't come off easily, I have a little heat gun that makes release quickly. When I have used 3M spray adhesive and left it on for too long, a hair dryer or heat gun works great too.
      The 3M spray is definitely the hardest to get off fingers and seems to have the strongest bond. I try to not spray anything until the day I cut it, but sometimes I overestimate the day, and that can lead to difficulties. I typically coat all the wood in blue painter's tape, the actual patterns I cut to smallest possible, and spray them with adhesive, then I use clear tape on top. But... if the clear tape sits more than a day, especially with black wood, it becomes a disaster to try to see the lines.

Comment

• Rolf
        The WoodMeister
        • Apr 2005

I have used all sorts of methods for putting on patterns. The only time I put a pattern directly on the wood is on Intarsia as the shaping process removes it. I only use blue tape under the pattern on very small projects.

I Use clear removable contact paper (shelf liner) on the wood and the pattern on that. It is easy to remove, leaves no residue.
        The only thing I use Clear packing tape for is to hold compound cuts together, and of course packing
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• Ennobee
          wannabe designer
          Registered User - Level 2
          • Jan 2010

I almost use spray-on glue exclusively -other than for large quantities, for which I make a cardboard or even plywood stencil whit which I trace the pattern directly on the wood. Overall, I like spray glue, even if it tends to stick on my fingers. I sprau the paper instead of the wood and if I know I will bencittingnot right away, I wait a couple of minutes for the glue to dry and have more of the consistency of packing tape before pressing it onto the wood.

I have had problems with clogged spray cam nozzles a couple of times and my standard method g dealing with it is to save the nozzles from my empty cans before I throw them away so I have some spare nozzles I van use to replace the clogged-up one with.

Comment

• NC Scroller
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Ennobee
            I almost use spray-on glue exclusively -other than for large quantities, for which I make a cardboard or even plywood stencil whit which I trace the pattern directly on the wood. Overall, I like spray glue, even if it tends to stick on my fingers. I sprau the paper instead of the wood and if I know I will bencittingnot right away, I wait a couple of minutes for the glue to dry and have more of the consistency of packing tape before pressing it onto the wood.

I have had problems with clogged spray cam nozzles a couple of times and my standard method g dealing with it is to save the nozzles from my empty cans before I throw them away so I have some spare nozzles I van use to replace the clogged-up one with.
            I have found that clogged nozzles can be fixed by soaking in mineral spirits (MS) for a couple hours. I have a couple empty yogurt containers for this process.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

• Scruffy Dog
              • Aug 2019

Update: I found that a quick spray across the piece one time has been enough to adhere the pattern to the painters tape. It just takes a little practice. For example, the last piece I did had 4 strips of painters tape. I aimed at each one and did a quick spritz, like you do when using spray paint to avoid drips. That resulted in a wet surface with no puddles. It seems that is the thing to avoid - puddles of adhesive. (In case anyone else had the same problem)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...