Help with spray adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with spray adhesive

Does any one have any tips for not spraying too much adhesive on the blue tape? Seems like I'm having trouble getting a consistently thin coat. Just interested in how others judge when or how they judge how much is right. Thanks!

To attach patterns I use 3M Super 77 spray. It has never failed me. One thing I do is spray the pattern and not the wood or what is covering the wood. All that is required is a very light coating. After you spray wait about 15-20 seconds before applying.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Ok. I've been spraying the wood, not the pattern. I was thinking that I should count maybe like "one thousand one" as I move the spray can across the object. Just wondering how think the coat has to be, and you said very light. How do you achieve that? Curious about the technique. I'm using the same spray, btw.

Comment

I use the 3M77 and use a light cost on the pattern. I have blue tape on the wood.

Comment

I had the same isssues with spray adhesive, several years ago I solved the problem. I decided to purchased a Xyron Creative Station and the repositional cartridge. Problem solved no more issues with uneven coats of spray adhesive or even worse problems with patterns lifting off during the course of cutting. Some seem to feel the Xyron is too costly. However when you consider the cost of wood it only takes a couple of failed projects and the increased cost of the xyron approach suddenly dissapears. No more issues with too much or too little adhesive.
          cwmagee
          aka Fibber
          Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

Like Fibber I use a Xyron machine for most of my pattern applications. But I also use the 3M 77 , especially for larger patterns, it is the best spray adhesive that I have found.
            What is important is to make sure the nozzle is clean! If it isn't the you will not get a uniform spray. It will spittle, for lack of better word, and get blobs of glue instead of a mist.

PS Scruffy Dog Welcome to the neighborhood
            Last edited by Rolf; 01-08-2023, 10:41 AM.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I print my patterns on label paper. Just print, peel, and apply.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Originally posted by Scruffy Dog View Post
                Ok. I've been spraying the wood, not the pattern. I was thinking that I should count maybe like "one thousand one" as I move the spray can across the object. Just wondering how think the coat has to be, and you said very light. How do you achieve that? Curious about the technique. I'm using the same spray, btw.
                Dog, you need very little. More important then the thickness is making sure you cover the entire pattern. I have a spray box I made. Basically a wood box that I put a piece of freezer paper on the bottom. The sides of the box contains the overspray. When the freezer paper gets too nasty I just toss it and put in a new piece.​​​​​ If you don’t have a box a piece of cardboard can be used.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                  Like Fibber I use a Xyron machine for most of my pattern applications. But I also use the 3M 77 , especially for larger patterns, it is the best spray adhesive that I have found.
                  What is important is to make sure the nozzle is clean! If it isn't the you will not get a uniform spray. It will spittle, for lack of better word, and get blobs of glue instead of a mist.

PS Scruffy Dog Welcome to the neighborhood
                  A clogged nozzle can be fixed my soaking the nozzle in mineral spirits for at least 30 minutes.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Oaks View Post
                    I print my patterns on label paper. Just print, peel, and apply.
                    What a simple solution. Does it peel off well?

Comment

Scott, never thought of freezer paper in bottom of spray box. I just toss the boxes after build up. Thanks.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by bstark View Post

What a simple solution. Does it peel off well?
                        I use blue painters tape applied directly to the wood, then apply the label. Removes with ease.
                        Denny
                        ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

My glue spray box is an oversize cardboard box - the carton paper towels are delivered to the store in. It's much lighter to move out of the way when not needed and best of all, free.

Comment

I too use the Xyron machine. The only difficulty is getting the replacement cartridges. I ordered 2 in May 2022 direct from the company and in July was told I would have in December. The standard excuse is "Covid" caused shipping delays. Luckily, I try to keep a stock of at least 2. I had 2 until last week when my cartridge ran out. Now I have a fresh one in the machine and one on the shelf. I just ordered 2 more from a different company who says they will be here in late February. Hopefully, within the next 2 months I will have 4 new ones in stock.

When I have large patterns, I still don't use the spray unless absolutely necessary. I use rubber cement which is what I used when I started. And to get the extra off the wood, I have a small "eraser" - a piece of the material they use to make larger sanding erasers.

I do not put blue tape on my projects.
                            Barbara
                            Proud user of Excalibur, RBI Hawk, & Delta

Comment

I order my rolls on eBay. Had it in a week. Try there. I don’t use blue tape I use Duck brand shelf paper.I get the wide roll, put my wood on top, trace around with a razor knife and it’s cut to size. Light spray with glue and done.
                              Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                                Reply to Alex Fox Basket C12
                                by NC Scroller
                                Nice work. I truly admire all the projects that you share and I truly envy the fact that you finish what you start. What is your secret?
                                Today, 07:35 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Alex Fox Basket C12
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                Betty, I enlarged the pattern by 30% to fit on 10" square stock....
                                Yesterday, 02:20 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Boys at sawmill were busy.
                                by will8989
                                Thanks, Kim. I'll show that to my husband but since he has 2 surgeries coming up I doubt that will be on his to do list. The place we buy wood from air dries the wood for a year, than finishes with kiln drying....
                                Yesterday, 01:58 PM
                              • will8989
                                Rikon Air Cleaner
                                by will8989
                                Received email from Woodcraft, the Rikon1/4 HP 3 speed air filter, reg $329.99 is on sale for $199.99. Remote controls, timer, 5 year warranty, etc.. Called store, have them on backorder but one is mine as I paid for it today. Will call me when it comes in. Warranty sold me. It is in their sale circular...
                                Yesterday, 01:54 PM
                              • Kim Stone
                                Reply to Boys at sawmill were busy.
                                by Kim Stone
                                will8989, We made a drying kiln out of a plan we saw on youtube. We took a 6-Tier Commercial Grade Heavy Duty Steel Wire Shelving Unit that we got at lowes, wrapped it in 1 inch foam insulation board and put two heat bulbs in the bottom, we have holes at the top and bottom to let the moisture out. We...
                                Yesterday, 01:49 PM
                              Working...
                              X