Is this a good "starter" saw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good "starter" saw?

It sounds really good for a "starter" saw but as a beginner with scroll saws, I am uncertain of just how good this is.

Thank you for any thoughts you might have about this saw.

Or --is there a better one at a similar or cheaper price?

Copied from Amazon:

BUCKTOOL Quick Blade Change 16-inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Pedal Switch for woodworking Steel Work Table ($199.99)
    • 4 Main Updates about the 2022 model: Larger steel worktable, updated blade holder, changing knob, and cast aluminum tension knob
    • Motor: 1.2-Amp DC Motor provides Quiet and Powerful Performance, variable speed providing up to 1600 RPM no-load speed
    • Worktable: Updated 18.2-by-11.5-inch iron work table can bevels up to 45 degrees to the left for angled cuts. Cutting depth is 2-Inch with a 16-Inch throat depth
    • Multi-function: Vibration-free LED light with no light bounce provides a clear view when cutting; Portable foot pedal provides easy hand-free control. When you need to drill a new hole, replace the blade, or in an emergency, The scroll saw can be easily stopped and started by simply stepping with your foot
    • Convenient Design: Quick-change blade system with unique spring blade holder design makes blade changing ever easy

I looked at it and would not recommend. Changing blades looks difficult.

I would get one that is more common so you can easily get help on a forum. The DeWalt would be a good choice.

Comment

I have no personal experience with it , nor have I seen one. Entry level saws is a tough question. you definitely want to be able to use pinned and Pinless blades, this saw does have that. All of the low end saws that I have seen have poor bottom blade change access.
      As Quartz suggested you may want one with more information on the forums. The Dewalt is not priced as an entry level saw. In the $200 price range you could look for a better brand used but that can be risky. The Wen 3921 with a quick change blade adaptor from Stockroom supply may be a choice. My entry level saw was a Delta SS350 in 2004, ($180) That was an excellent saw but I bought a Hawk G4 26 the following year. ($1200)
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

The blade clamps look similar to that on the WEN 3922 which is what I purchased as an entry level saw and still use (unfortunately). The blades will slip and you have to really clamp down in order to hold the blades tight enough to put tension on the blade. This wears the clamp out. I purchase extra blade clamps by the dozen. The "no tool" thumb screw used to clamp the blade will last about a week. I've already made several various knobs to replace the original. The tension lever at the back of the saw is a pain. You have to reach back each time you thread the blade through a hole to release or set tension.

I have no experience with the Dewalt, or any other saw for that matter, but I agree that you will probably have to spend a little more than $200 for a saw that you will enjoy using. I'm saving my dimes and quarters for either a Pegas or Seyco.

WEN does make the LL2156 for $370.26 (on the WEN website) but I have not seen any reviews for that saw. The LL2156 came out about a month after I purchased the 3922. It looks to have a better blade clamping system and the upper arm lifts which makes it a lot easier to thread the blade through pilot holes. For some reason WEN has to enclose the bottom section of the saw (under the table) which is a pain when changing blades. I typically leave the door on mine open and give it a quick vacuum after each use. Also, the tension knob is on the front of the upper arm rather than the back so you don't have reach all the way to the rear of the saw when loosening or tensioning the blade. WEN does have a 2-year warranty on their products which is pretty good. I've had mine a little over a year so I'll have time to get my money lined up for a better saw before the warranty expires.

Good luck in your search. Scrolling is very addictive and I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Comment

I am still looking. At the moment, I am considering: DeWalt DW788, WEN LL2156, Delta 40-694. Then, today a Hawk 220VS showed up on Facebook Marketplace for $350 --it is about 110 miles away. Three questions: Is there another saw in that similar price grouping that I should be considering? And is the Hawk worth the drive? Of the current four --which?

Comment

Eddy

I would cross the Delta off the list since there are no parts available for Delta tools.
            Tim

If you need a tool and don't buy it, you will pay for it and not have it

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy7491 View Post
              I am still looking. At the moment, I am considering: DeWalt DW788, WEN LL2156, Delta 40-694. Then, today a Hawk 220VS showed up on Facebook Marketplace for $350 --it is about 110 miles away. Three questions: Is there another saw in that similar price grouping that I should be considering? And is the Hawk worth the drive? Of the current four --which?
              Before driving that far I would want the serial number of the saw. I would not buy any Hawk older than 2005. They made significant design changes in that time frame. Also the motors were improved, not sure of when that that was done.
              Rolf

Comment

Steve Good watches the price of the DeWalt 788 on Amazon. He says the price is under $40p
                Denny
                ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Suddenly FBMP is flooded with Hawks:

220-3 10545 $395

220-3 13177 $475

220 2926 $300

220VS 22350 $350

How do I learn the year of manufacture?

Comment

Maybe not the year but the manuals are here http://www.rbiwoodtools.com/WebsiteP...w-Manuals.html
                    The newer saws have the lower clamps in front of the table tilt. That makes blade changes significantly easier. This is my opinion and others may not agree.
                    Bottom clamp in front .jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Rolf; 06-14-2022, 08:14 AM.
                    Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X