Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patsybl
    • Mar 2022

Bigger Projects

New to Scroll Saw. I have a 16" scroll saw. I feel I am limited to small projects. I see people who do big projects, is their scroll saw huge or is their something I am missing?
  • meflick
    Melanie
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Aug 2009

Hi Patsy and welcome. You would have one of the smaller saws at 16”. There are bigger saws that will allow for bigger projects. I’m not sure of all the sizes but I believe there are some up to 30”.

One way people cut bigger projects on smaller saws is they learn to use spiral blades. Spiral blades let you cut in any direction. They can take some patience and time to learn to cut with them. Some folks love ‘em, some folks hate ‘em. I haven’t attempted too much with them, but I was not a fan. Takes a lot of control that I didn’t have it would seem at the time. It was early in my working with the saw and I haven’t tried again.

I am sure more experts will have more info. and advice to share.
    Melanie from East TN

Comment

• Don in Brooklin On
      Registered User - Level 2
      • Feb 2011

Here is a link to a video where she cuts a 32inch sign on a 20 inch scroll saw. Same principals could be used with a 16 inch,

BTW 94% of Steve Goods can be cut on 16 inch SS.

Don McFarland ​Member - Durham Woodworking Club http://www.durhamwoodworkingclub.com/

Comment

• Rolf
        The WoodMeister
        • Apr 2005

Welcome to the Group. Melanie and Don have pretty much covered it.
        I will add this When I started scrolling I very quickly decided that it was going to be a long term hobby so I jumped from a 16" delta to a 26 " Hawk G4. Even with a large saw you have to consider it is not only the 26" throat but you will also have to swing the wood the other direction in front of the saw. It is not that easy, the cutting requires planning.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• Patsybl
          • Mar 2022

Thanks everyone!

Comment

• garryatpa
            • Jan 2022

Hi Patsy, welcome to scroll sawing. You can do larger projects on a 16” saw. Much of how is covered here already. I started out with a 15” or 16” Delta and now use a 22” Hegner. Here are some of the things I did to saw larger pieces - Drill more than one starting hole, sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the size of the project and opening you are sawing; if you can, turn the blade when you install it so that the teeth face back (this will take some practise to saw in this manner).

I was commissioned one time to saw a canoeing scene in the blade of a paddle. It had evergreen trees in the background and a canoe with two people paddling. The paddle was about 3 to 4 feet long so there was no turning the blade and the handle caused the blade to lift off the saw table. I had to learn how to use a spiral blade and in order to manage the weight of the handle I taped 2 or 3 large steel bolt nuts to the tip of the blade to balance it and not have to worry about the paddle blade lifting off the saw table. It took some time but I was successful in the end.

Keep sawing different sized projects. Practise will allow you to gain confidence. The more you saw the better you will get.

Garry

Comment

• Rolf
              The WoodMeister
              • Apr 2005

Garryatpa clever solution.
              '
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

• NC Scroller
                • Nov 2006

I have made a 36" door topper on a 20" Dewalt. It makes you have to really think and plan each cut. I did not use spiral blades but for some cuts I put the blade in backwards. It also forces you to stand when cutting.
                Scott
                Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

• Chance13
                  • Mar 2022

I have a 20" Delta that I made Judy''s "Hidden Forest" with. Took me all of 9 months of trying to find the right wood,etc.
                  You could use a 16" saw as you can break down the pattern and pieces into smaller sections.

I won a best of show ribbon with it.
                  Excuse the picture as using a camera is not of of my better things.

hidden.jpg

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...