Bought a Hawk/RBI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a Hawk/RBI

Hey there. A local trade school had a fire a while ago and they sold all the damaged equipment at auction some time later. I went and when they came down the line to this forlorn looking saw nobody bid,…the auctioneer was about to move on and I blurted out “five bucks”. The auctioneer turned, pointed, and said “Sold!”. I knew nothing about scroll saws although I’ve been a hobbiest woodworker for years. Never needed a scroll saw,…my jig saw was able to do what i wanted up till now. But I thought…five bucks?,…can’t go wrong. And boy was I right.

The saw had seen heat, and a fair amount of it,…and smoke,..and likely halon fire suppressant. The dust tube was melted onto the saw frame in a long flat puddle. The thing was covered in soot and grime. It really looked bad. All the aluminum surfaces, work table, arms, etc. were fuzzy with corrosion. I think maybe the fire suppressant was corrosive, and also it had been outside for a while….every conceivable hole was filled with insect nests. But when I got it home I noticed that the underside frame shielded the heat and the motor, wires, and controller were all ok. It had shielded the heat. I then looked at the data plate and found it was a Hawk/RBI 226VS Ultra. Serial number 15631 which puts it in the early 2000’s near as I can tell.

A little internet work and I realized i had a really good saw. Sooo,..I went to “restoring” it. All the aluminum came off and was sanded down and polished. It had the accessory bar and the articulating lamp/magnifying glass….which was rough, but needed just the transformer replaced. Everything else was saveable. Every bolt was seriously stuck,…it took some real effort to get most of the bolts and nuts off. Solvent, heat, hammer taps etc….I took everything apart, cleaned every bearing internally, relubed and reassembled. (I am a licensed aircraft mechanic so this part was fun.)

This thing works like a brand new saw. I doubt it had been used much at all. All I’ll have to buy is the lamp transformer, a dust tube and director, and blades. Not bad for five bucks eh? Sometimes it’s good to take a chance.

One thing I have as a question,…the blade that was in it, although heat had detempered it, worked long enough to test the saw before it broke. The blade measured 5 and 13/16 inches overall length. Is this what they call a “five inch blade”. ? I wonder because I’m going to buy some blades and want to get the right length. My guess is the Five Inch Blade designation means it’s five inches of exposed teeth when mounted, but the blade is actually longer for mounting. Is this right? Thanks. Steve
    Last edited by Tortie; 01-26-2022, 12:56 PM.

Hello Steve and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge about the saw to advise you on saw blades. However, I do know that the Hawk is supposed to be an excellent saw. I'm sure there are members here that can provide you with the information you need. Watch out, though. Scroll sawing can become very addictive. Once the bug bites, it's hard to shake it. Congrats on the purchase.

Comment

Hi Steve and welcome to the forum from TN. All scroll saw blades are 5", not sure where the 5 13/16" blade came from. As a Pegas dealer, I checked the length of a 5" blade and it was 5 3/16". Go figure. Yes, they will work on your saw.
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Welcome Steve, as Denny said 5" blades are not really 5". The hawk uses all major brand of blades (Pegas, Olson, Flying Dutchman). Not know what you think you might be using the saw for it is hard to tell you what size and style blades to buy. If you can tell us what you would like to make it would give us a better idea on blades to recommend.

Yes, the hawk is a great saw and parts are available. You can get parts from Hawk Woodworking Industries (bushtonmanufacturing.com).
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Hello and thanks for the comments guys. I don’t have any specific project in mind just yet so I’ll likely buy an assortment of blades in different widths. I’m just glad I blurted out the five dollar bid, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Tortie View Post
            Hello and thanks for the comments guys. I don’t have any specific project in mind just yet so I’ll likely buy an assortment of blades in different widths. I’m just glad I blurted out the five dollar bid, haha.
            Contact Denny aka Sandy Oaks. He is a Pegas dealer and he sells a sampler assortment. His website is
            https://www.artcraftersonline.com/
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

First of all welcome to the group!. What a great story and and find. You have an excellent saw, so glad you decided to rescue and restore it. I have the Hawk G4 26 since 2005. The Hawk takes any standard length blade and as Scott suggested get a sampler set from Denny.
              If you haven't already, down load the manual from the link Scott posted. It was a 12-$1400 saw when new.

We of course would love to see a picture of it. Did you take one when you brought it home?
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X