Used Dremel 1680 Vibration - Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Dremel 1680 Vibration - Help?

This looks like a great community, and hopefully you can provide me some support. I am not sure if this forum is the right place to ask for machine advice/troubleshooting or not, but thought I would try. Thanks in advance!

I am a hobbyist woodworker, and recently wanted to add scroll sawing to my skillset Knowing that I have a tendency to get into something then drop it, I wanted to start out with a used affordable saw thinking I might not stick with it. Well, I think that may have been a mistake! I should have just spent the extra money and got something new and that I know works.

Someone put up for sale a Dremel 1680 and while I know its an old discontinued saw, I generally saw good reviews and it looks brand new despite the age. Thought it was low risk. But, no matter what I do I have what I think is heavy vibration. I know all saws have some vibration, but this is so that it makes the blade shake to where I can't really see it, the piece I am cutting takes a heavy hand for it not to rattle all over the place, and I can't even do straight line practice exercises. I have also oiled the brass pivot points per the instruction manual. Other than secure and add a lot of weight to the base, what can I do? The issue seems to be the upper arm shakes side to side, no amount of weight on the bottom will help that problem.

Below are links to some videos I took. Maybe the arm is bent? Is this saw trash? Worth taking apart? Or am I just being too picky and saws just vibrate this much?

Thanks so much for the help!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iosef9R4og7qb1Zt8

I have never seen a saw with that kind of motion. I know why they sold it. It was not a nice thing for them to do without telling or showing you the saw in motion. That said if you want to keep this saw you will have to take it apart and find what is loose or Extremely worn. or I suspect a binding bearing.
    E replacement parts still has parts for this saw. You will have to do some digging. With no blade installed can you move the arm side to side?

Looking at the parts break down I see that the motor is in direct line with the arms and it has a bearing assembly (65) with a balancing cam (82) that goes on the end of the motor. It changes the movement 90 degrees. If that is bound up it will move things the way you are seeing. You need to take the cover off to see what is going on. I suggest you take pictures and notes as you take it apart.

1680_WW_1 parts 2.jpg 1680_WW_1 parts.gif
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

My very first scroll saw was that exact saw 20-25 years ago. While it tended to me noisy and vibrate, it was nothing like that. The only reason I got rid of it was I wanted to larger fret work. There should be zero side to side movement. As Rolf suggested a bad bearing or sleeve is likely.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Good luck in finding the cause of that territfic vibration. Let us know what you find.
        ♥♥ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♥♥

Comment

Thank you all for confirming my suspicion. I contacted the original seller and turns out he is an outstanding person.tt He still stands by that it did not have issues when he sold it to me, but I gave him back the saw, and he gave me back my money.

So after 10 dollars in parts and shipping for a new bellows, and a few hours of my time trouble shooting and beefing up the mounting and stand, no harm no foul. Now to find a scroll saw I want. Thinking new might be the way this time and buying used tools may be more trouble than what i save.

Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully a new saw is in my future soon and i see you back here in no time!

Comment

Not sure of your budget but if I was to be buying a new saw today, in my 20+ of heavy scroll saw activity I have owned or used many brands, I would buy a Pegas or King or Seyco. Just my two cents.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

With what I saw in the video you made a wise decision unless of course you were a tinkerer. But with the lack of parts etc. not worth the time.
              As Scott said I would lean towards the Pegas or King line I don't like that the Seyco only tilts 30 degrees. never understood why Ray did that.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                Reply to They’re back!
                by Jim McDonald
                Just saw some video from the show. Quite a bit of precision flying--as usual.
                Today, 12:03 PM
              • meflick
                Reply to They’re back!
                by meflick
                We will have an air show again this year in Knoxville Sept. 10-11 and the Blue Angels are suppose to be here performing, They were here a few years back. We live close to the airport so they flew over are home practicing the few days before the show, and then the show it’s self. Quite a sight for...
                05-26-2022, 05:17 PM
              • Sandy Oaks
                Reply to They’re back!
                by Sandy Oaks
                Oh what a treat. Years ago we went to Air Shows in Oshkosh, WI. Greatest memory was the Concorde.
                05-26-2022, 11:04 AM
              • Rolf
                Reply to They’re back!
                by Rolf
                WOW. I love the air shows....
                05-26-2022, 09:33 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to They’re back!
                by will8989
                Not quite. The idiots in Maryland are keeping the kids in school until June 21. A lot of schools don’t have a/c so they will send them home early. The blue angels are here every year for graduation. In September there is something at the inner harbor and the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and another group...
                05-26-2022, 12:52 AM
              Working...
              X