Wen 3921

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wen 3921

After only two days, the following is my Amazon review of my new WEN 3921 saw.

This scroll saw is now WEN power tool number six for me. The other five machines run like Swiss clocks. This one has issues. The knuckle joint light is useless, it won't stay put. The dust collection port faces the operator, not user friendly. I had to take the side plate off to blow all the sawdust out from inside the saw. I threw it in a box with other unnecessary parts. I had to bend the air tube to make it blow on the blade. I installed the multiblade hands on the lower and upper arms. The plastic knobs that tighten the blade jaws broke off. Now, I have to use an Allen key to turn them. I wish I had saved my money and bought a DeWalt. I've never had any problem with WEN products. I'm very disappointed. I cannot recommend this saw.

I can make it work, but I'm not happy with it.
    Hand me my finger, would you, please?

I hope that doesn't put you off the Hobby. I think most of us went through this. I started with a Craftsman from my Dad way too many tools to do a blade change. (I had started right out with some large fretwork) I also had a Dremel from a yard sale that had a sanding disk on the side. It vibrated real bad and only used pinned blades. My wife bought me a Delta SS 350 $180 new with stand. That was a great saw with really good clamps, but a bit too aggressive a cut for what I was starting to make. I saved my money from ornament sales and bought The Hawk G4 26 a year later. I also picked up a used EX 16 a couple of years ago with Pegas clamps for $250.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
      I hope that doesn't put you off the Hobby.
      Not a chance. I spent 32 years in heavy construction and have faced and conquered challenges far bigger. We used to say "If you do the best you can with what you have, nobody can ask more of you."

Hand me my finger, would you, please?

Comment

I have the same machine. First thing i did was take the side plate off, tie down that useless light and get a magnifying light, switched out to the pinless attachments, and ignore the port. Besides that, i really like the machine. Lol. Get a longer thumb screw so you don't have to use that wrench all the time. Once i got it all set up and made up for me, I'm really liking the machine. Oh, and make yourself a zero clearance plate!
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Webjunkie3437 View Post
          I have the same machine. First thing i did was take the side plate off, tie down that useless light and get a magnifying light, switched out to the pinless attachments, and ignore the port. Besides that, i really like the machine. Lol. Get a longer thumb screw so you don't have to use that wrench all the time. Once i got it all set up and made up for me, I'm really liking the machine. Oh, and make yourself a zero clearance plate!
          Just be careful with the larger thumb screw. The screw is hard steel and the clamp is either cast or a softer metal then the screw. Over tightening will spread the clamp or worse yet strip out the threads rendering the clamps useless.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Thanks for the review. My first saw was a Hitachi. I returned it within a week and purchased a DeWalt. I have since added an EX21 and now that we are Pegas dealers, a Pegas Scroll Saw. If I had stayed with the Hitachi, I would probably not enjoy this fun hobby.
            Denny
            ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Sounds like you need to contact Amazon and get a refund/return? I am not yet a scroll sawer, but I am pretty good at Amazon! Hopefully you have Prime. If so, good chance free returns are possible, doesn't matter that it is open. If not get on their chat and most often they will take it back. The chat is hard to find, but it's there if you Google/look hard enough. Sorry the saw didn't work out, but I know to stay away from it as I shop. Thanks for posting your review.

Comment

I'm a real newbie. What product number DeWalt did you buy??
                Will be doing mostly wooden picture puzzles, small cuts/turns.
                Appreciate any advice.
                B

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Barb.

Before you commit to a particular saw, keep in mind that what you see yourself doing now may not be what you'll be doing in a few years. That said, no matter what kind of project, the quality of the saw is important to your enjoyment. A saw that is unreliable, has a lot of vibration, or is fidgety to use will be a constant frustration. Check out all the options, including a good used saw, before you commit. Even a $200 saw is expensive if you don't use it.

And in answer to your question about the DeWalt, the 788 has been the only model available for years. Once a totally reliable purchase, its quality has diminished over the years, but it's probably still the best mid-priced tool currently available.
                  Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

My first saw was and I still have a DeWalt 788. I also have an EX21 and as a Pegas dealer, a Pegas Scroll Saw. I agree with Carole and purchase the best Saw you can afford.
                    Denny
                    ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• John Smith
                      Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                      by John Smith
                      Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                      HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                      Today, 10:01 AM
                    • Jim McDonald
                      Reply to Phone call from son.
                      by Jim McDonald
                      My kids always call me since I am the one who probably did the stuff they are calling about.

I know it's scary to get that call, but I'm glad to hear the charge exited where it did before it went any further.

Probably hurts like hell and he has a copper taste in his mouth...
                      Today, 09:52 AM
                    • Sandy Oaks
                      by Sandy Oaks
                      Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
                      Today, 09:40 AM
                    • Rolf
                      by Rolf
                      Welcome to the group. I look forward to seeing more of your work. You will probably need to slow down you scroll saw when cutting the urethane on the scroll saw. If the blade gets to hot it will fuse back together.
                      I have used the house trim board material which I think is PVC. Where do you purchase...
                      Today, 09:22 AM
                    • John Smith
                      by John Smith
                      thanks for the kind words - I'm not really a scroller "enthusiast", per se. I like to make dimensional signs and have always used the band saw, routers, or Roto-Zip to cut the elements out then do some handcarving to perk them up a bit. I'll put some of my projects in my folder later on....
                      Today, 08:15 AM
                    Working...
                    X