Blade tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blade tuning question

Up front, I searched the forum, but could not find what I'm looking for.

Watching a few videos on Youtube, I see the blade needs to be stretched and reset before using. I got that. Make sure the blade will 'ping'. I got that.

Now, here's my question: If the blade will stretch with the initial set, will it not stretch any thereafter?

I'm an old hand at woodworking and a rookie at scrolling.

Thanks, fellas!
    Hand me my finger, would you, please?

You're going to get several answers to this.
    During the initial set up, you are not stretching the blade-but taking out the slack between the arms, tensioning the blade.
    That said, as you cut, the blade will heat due to friction and expand. I have no idea the percentage, but it is minimal.
    If you do a lot of fret work, you won't notice it because you are constantly reclamping the blade and you generally are not cutting long enough to make much heat.
    Hope that helps.
    Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW-tO2Jx4Gc&t=25s

Comment

I have been scrolling for 40 years+ and never ran into a problem like in the video. I agree with Jim it is a minimal problem.
        I use quality blades like Pegasus or flying Dutchman, not the big box blades.

Comment

I have never had an issue with blade stretch. If the blade tension is too loose then it will affect how it cuts. You will get a feel for for it all in time.
          I certainly never pre stretch my blade.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Thanks, fellas!

Comment

I am another 20+ year scroller and have never experienced a blade stretch issue. Trust me I cut everything from delicate fret work from materials less than a 1/8 to compound projects with wood over 1 1/2". You have to be careful with videos like these. Whether the person wants to accept it or not his blade slipped in the clamp.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I think you nailed it, Scott. It’s too easy for anyone to become an “expert”, or, as they say, “influencer”, these days.

And regarding slippage, there was something to be said for pinned blades! Even with my Hegner, I usually run it for a few seconds to be sure the blade is tight and the clamp properly seated.
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Carole, I also agree about the influx of "experts". You really have to do your homework and read lots of opinions on most subjects.
                  Scroll saw selection and blade selection are two areas. We all develop favorites and to say that this saw or blade works for what I do but I cant really say that they are the best for everyone. I now have a tendency to not respond at all.

I did just post, don't ask me where, Suggesting that we post a picture of the project not just the blade and saw information.
                  The blades and saw that you can use for Yard Art vs a Charles Hand fretwork will vary.

Now I have to go out and see if I can get my Jeep to run, changed the battery yesterday based on all of the available instructions and now it does not recognize my Key Fob.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X