Recommendations anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations anyone?

I have decided what my projects will be, based entirely on my personal likes and dislikes. And, I've carefully measured the space I have available to work in.
    So, my thoughts are to get the MicroLux® Variable Speed Multi-Saw # 87776, as it will fit my very limited space. I've had previous tools from Micro-Mark that have more than satisfied my needs, and, a few years back when I was woodworking, the idea of bigger is better is now a bad memory that I know cannot be continued.
    So, my question is, what do you think might be a downfall to this plan? I enjoy doing what some feel is impossible and figuring ways around what is considered normal.

The 12" throat may be an issue for some things. If you are scrolling an 8x12 piece, at some points on the wood you will not be able to turn the piece completely. There is no tilt that I can find, so as long as you do not use a bevel cut it should be fine. They do not say, that I could find, the length of the blade, so that may restrict you to using their blades.

But if that overall size is your requirement, then go for it, good luck.
    Jim
    Texas - The Republic
    With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

Sorry no experience nor have I ever heard of this brand. From the pictures I appears to be plastic. If so I am not sure how it will hold up in the long term.
      Scott
      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have a Micro Mark drill press that I use for the tiny holes when doing delicate fretwork. I am happy with that.
        This saw is too limiting especially for any bevel cuts. The blade change process would drive me nuts, and the other concern is blade tension. It is like the ancient deltas, spring loaded.
        Another thing which Jim Ern pointed out they say nothing about the blade length, so I don't know if standard blades would fit.

I would walk away (just my opinion) and find a 16" King or EX.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I agree with Rolf on size, unless you are just looking to do little stuff like ornaments. 16" would give you some flexibility but still keep the smaller footprint. Enjoy whatever you do buy though!!
          Linda at www.ArtIngrained.com

Comment

Thank you all for giving me a little more to consider. I thought I had covered everything in my mind until others chimed in!
            At least at this point in life, I'm not under a time constraint.

Comment

Food for thought, When I first started scrolling my thinking was "all I want to do is this and I will never do that as it doesn't interest me". I didn't know I would be working with SSWWC or get sucked into creating Intarsia or doing large intricate fretwork, like Charles Hand designs.
              Well thank goodness that way of thinking didn't last long. And 16 years later I am still replacing tools that limit what I can do.
              Last edited by Rolf; 11-30-2020, 08:56 AM.
              Rolf

Comment

I'll add in some food for thought too. I was unsure if I would enjoy this hobby (addiction) so I started with the Porter Cable from Lowes. I think it is a good entry level saw, 5 months later I found an Excaliber on Craigs List and have been happy ever since.
                Jim
                Texas - The Republic
                With the exception of hand guns and Tequila, computers have caused more problems than anything else

Comment

I appreciate the input from everyone but, I need clarify to my work? space. I originally stated my area measures 6'X10' and, it does. But, I only have about 5'X5' of available space and, that's without taking myself into consideration.
                  I know from past undertakings, that I can and will confine myself to the space I have and, refrain from looking "on the other side of the fence" as I had before.
                  I certainly like your forward thinking but, I have no other options under my circumstances. At least, that I can think of.
                  Last edited by old fa_t; 11-30-2020, 10:00 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Do you have room on a workbench for a 16" saw----that you can move and use the space for sanding or other operations? I have a larger area to work with then you, but I do have workbench type tools that I have to swap out the space for as the need arises. Sometimes you have to sit back and scope the area optically, trying to think multi-purpose. Not easy, but necessary most of the time.

Comment

Or first build a flip top workstand, something like this

Jim
                      Texas - The Republic

Comment

Jim did you build that? really well done.
                        Rolf

Comment

Now that's a confined space flexibility option!!

Comment

I need that! Wonder if Bruce will build that for me?
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

This is in a 5x5 area.. The total shop is 10x12 g143-768x576-1.png
                              Attached Files
                              The other John A. Nelson
                              johnsworkshop.com
                              sigpic
                              I just follow the lines and make sawdust
                              on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Peanuts #1
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                I love Snoopy!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              • Sandy Oaks
                                Reply to Peanuts #1
                                by Sandy Oaks
                                I agree with Scott, very impressive.
                                Today, 11:34 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Peanuts #1
                                by Rolf
                                Is this a freehand cut? Or do you have a pattern that you overlay?
                                Today, 09:21 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Spring Issue
                                by Rolf
                                Don I agree to have the digitized patter would be great. But it is just as challenging to print a pattern that is bigger than the letter size printers that most folks have at home. How would you print them? When I was still working I had access to huge "E" size printers. Scanning was still...
                                Today, 09:15 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Needed a fix
                                by Rolf
                                Now if you were Local competition I would keep all sorts of ideas from you.. All kidding aside CA glue is a staple in my shop, not just for fixing stuff that I break but as preemptive strike against cracks when I do some bowl turning. The thin CA really penetrates into the wood (and fingers) I...
                                Today, 09:02 AM
                              Working...
                              X