Dremel Plunge Router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel Plunge Router

Haven't been here in a while. Time of year to start making presents for the grandchildren.
    I know a lot of new guys including myself are looking for a decent way to drill entry hole. I didn't want a drill press so I looked at a couple of options. Our local scroll saw guru uses a Seyco scroll saw drill. Pretty neat little machine but somewhat pricey. Since I have a Dremel I thought why not get the plunge router base. Big Big mistake. It really is very cheaply made. First time I tried to screw the tool into it I stripped the receiving collect. Extremely soft plastic. Also the assembly instructions do not exist. I have a couple of older attachments for the tool and have had no problem screwing the tool onto them so it was not lack of experience. Thank Amazon for easy returns. My advice either get a drill press or pay the bucks for the Seyco. I have seen the Seyco in action and it works. Soon as I get back from vacation I going to own one.

Happy Sawing
    Last edited by JodyP; 09-13-2020, 11:09 AM.

I have the Dremel plunge router attachment though I seldom us it anymore since I get my dill press to holds any size bit. My only complaint was the stiffness of the spring. I think it is a case of "they don't make them like they used to. I have seen the Seyco in action and it is a great option. Good Luck.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have been using the Dremel plunge router for several years. Wore one out but it took several years. Maybe they have changed the way they make them. Hope not, though. I use Johnson paste wax on the spring guides to make the plunging easier.

Larry
      Larry Davis
      Using wood rescued from the fire pit. My story told with a log.

Member Callahan Area Woodworking Group, Clyde, Texas

Comment

Thanks. I think I am going to order the Seyco. I could use a drill press for my wood turning, but it needs to have 3" travel to really work for me. I kind of made the decision to purchase full size tools instead of table top. That being said, A scroll saw is a lot of fun, fairly inexpensive, and takes up very little space and doesn't need a ton of supporting tools. Unlike my lathe where the tools and accessories far out cost the cost of the lathe. My only advice is to purchase a decent scroll saw. I tried less expensive models in the past and basically gave up on them. I have the Dewalt DW 788 and love it. I been scroll sawing on it for about a year. Just now really getting serious.

If you are a beginner buy the best you can afford.

Comment

JodyP I agree 100%. Buy quality and you will never regret it. One of my best scroll saw and wood working purchases I ever made was a floor model radial arm drill press. I was lucky enough to find a used one on Craigslist for under $200.
          Scott
          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Jody P, Dremel must have cheapened it, I bought one years ago but rarely use it it was not a smooth operating device.
            I agree with your comment about buying the best tools that you can afford. I have been replacing all of the tools that I am not satisfied with. My latest being the drill press. My new one has 6" quill travel and no belts.

Please give us a review when you get the Seyco drill.
            Rolf
            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

There are a couple of companies making a plunge router base that is all metal and very nice and expensive. There are also some diy ones on YouTube.

Comment

I too used the Dremel plunge router for a period of time with limited success. I also bought Seyco Mini Drill press and use it for a period of time with limited success. I now use the Jet 12" Bench Drill Press. I can use any size drill bit up to 1/2" The Spring return is fairly strong however I do not have any issues with drill bits sticking in the holes or have to fight with the Seyco mini drill press because it did not retract. That said I can now drill the small holes and not break drill bits.
                cwmagee
                aka Fibber
                Producer of fancy firewood​

Comment

For my fretwork I have been using a small belt driven mini drill press from Micro Mark.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by Quartz43
                    I would not use regular plywood but Baltic Birch is different. On Steve Garrisons Facebook page someone posted a shell with either Baltic Birch or something like Spectraply. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of tearing or splintering with either cutting or sanding.

Using solid...
                    Today, 09:09 AM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to countdown for Bruce.
                    by will8989
                    Bruce took the “zipper”ff today. Yep, the stitches were zipper type. When we were packing up at the market Sunday, the coffee vendor asked if we wanted a taste of his chocolate whiskey coffee. We said no thanks. After driving to Annapolis in the truck today to get Elliott, Bruce said he was going...
                    Yesterday, 10:12 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Scroll Saw Shells
                    by will8989
                    I usually don’t use plywood, but I think it works beautifully with these patterns. On my to do list in January.
                    Yesterday, 10:02 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Back in the saddle again
                    by will8989
                    I enlarge and shrink patterns all time. I use rapid resizer. I did locate some scrap wood that would be perfect for the smaller size. I also mad some of the nativity Steve had a week ago. I’m taking stuff to the market for feedback. Of the 11 ornaments I took last week I came home with 3. Guess you...
                    Yesterday, 09:59 PM
                  • will8989
                    Reply to Starting again
                    by will8989
                    And to do something different. I’m trying to schedule part or a whole day to bowl grinding. Of course, we had a 7 year old visitor most of the day as he had a half day today. So much for using the grinder. instead I put a bandaid on a scratch on his elbow so he “wouldn’t bleed to death”. Than...
                    Yesterday, 09:55 PM
                  Working...
                  X