Cross project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross project

20200704_104523.jpg I'm trying to make this cross project out of pecan. I have a piece of very nice pecan about 5/16" thick. I wonder which blade would be best for me. I have an assortment of Pegas blades. I have used Pegas blades to make this cross project out of red oak. But I am having trouble making the crisp lines with my blades. Is pecan just not a good wood to use for scrolling? Any suggestions?

Pecan is a pretty hard wood. It is ok for scrolling. I have used it before with no issues. With that pattern and 5/16 stock I would try a #1 Pegas MGT. You indicate you are having trouble making crisp lines. Are you having problems following the line. If so make sure to increase tension in the blade.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have never worked with Pecan so I can't answer that question. As for blades, I suggest Pegas #1R MGT blades for thin wood like 5/15".
      Denny
      ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Thanks, guys.

I have tried the Pegas round blade and it's too hard to control for a beginner like me. The blade I use most is the Pegas #1R MGT and it seems the best. But increasing the tension may be the solution to my problem. I'll have to give that a try.

I think my biggest problem is my saw. It's an entry-level, Porter-Cable saw sold at Lowes. I bought this saw just to see if I wanted to do some scrolling. I have a small shop and don't have a lot of disposable income so I didn't want to jump into one of the top-ranked saws. Steve Good did a demo with this saw and seemed to think it was an alright saw. But my biggest complaint is that I can't get the blades secured in the blade chuck heads well enough to get a lot of tension on them. I have tried to find replacement heads, but no one seems to have any to fit a Porter-Cable saw. Any more help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Comment

I have not used that saw but if it has a large front to back blade motion spiral blades will be harder to control going sideways.
          With only a 5/16 thickness I would use a higher tooth count, the Pegas #1R only has 13.7 TPI. That is a fast cutting blade for smaller detailed work. I would use a 28 TPI blade. Slower cutting but much easier to control.
          Rolf
          RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
          Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
          Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
          And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I think I understand you issue a little better from your last post. Spiral blades have a purpose in scrolling and I do use them when I need to but I would not use one on that project. This is especially true for a beginner. Stick with a flat reverse tooth blade like the Pegas #1R. Rolf suggestion for a even smaller blade is also good. That would be a Pegas #2/0R. The only downside to this is that I find tiny blades less forgiving for beginners when tend to push rather than feed the wood into the blade.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Everything that Scott and Rolf said is correct. I would suggest Pegas #1 Skip blade. it has 22.7 tpi. It is not reverse so there maybe more fuzzies on the bottom.
              Denny
              ArtCrafters in Dayton, TN

Comment

Again, thanks for all of the feedback. I'll give all the suggestions a try.

Comment

Flying Dutchman Penguin Silver Reverse #1 is what have used. very easy to control. and has reverse teeth. I have switched to Pegas blades.

Several people have said the Pegas are much more aggressive.

My go to blades where always Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse. They just seemed to follow the line.

Most on here have cut a long time, I suggest you try a few of different types to find the ones that fit you.
                  The other John A. Nelson
                  johnsworkshop.com
                  sigpic
                  I just follow the lines and make sawdust
                  on a Seyco ST-21 and a Yellow DW788

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                    I have not used that saw but if it has a large front to back blade motion spiral blades will be harder to control going sideways.
                    With only a 5/16 thickness I would use a higher tooth count, the Pegas #1R only has 13.7 TPI. That is a fast cutting blade for smaller detailed work. I would use a 28 TPI blade. Slower cutting but much easier to control.
                    I got a 28 tooth Pegas #2 blade and I like it. It's somewhat easy to use. The only complaint I have with it is it's hard to get it chucked up in my saw. I have to really watch how it goes into the upper and lower blade holders. Since a #2 is so small, the holders are very finicky as to how they grab the blade. Other than that, they cut smoothly and are easy to control.
                    Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• handibunny
                      Reply to Latest Project
                      by handibunny
                      I hope they appreciated the love and care that went into your beautiful work!
                      Today, 07:47 PM
                    • NC Scroller
                      Reply to Latest Project
                      by NC Scroller
                      A piece to be cherished.
                      Today, 02:06 PM
                    • meflick
                      Reply to Latest Project
                      by meflick
                      Beautiful piece Fibber and something that will long be treasured. Congratulations to them on 25 years. Hubby and I celebrated 35 last week. We got a new drill press. 😉☺️ (My idea.)...
                      Today, 01:48 PM
                    • cwmagee
                      Latest Project
                      by cwmagee
                      My daughter and son-in-law celebrated their 25th Anniversary in June. Since they have the means to acquire anything that they want, I had to find something that was unique. I decided on the Full Moon Night Light by Deb Nicholson feature in Issue #60. Due the Covid19, I finally got an opportunity to...
                      Today, 01:18 PM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Did you know..
                      by will8989
                      Almost over this itchy problem. Just some on my left arm and leg. Caladryl was my friend. I would just dump some on and smear around! Down to my regular daily allergy pill but that helped a lot also. Did have to change my follow up appointment with the eye doctor until middle of August.
                      Today, 11:08 AM
                    Working...
                    X